Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:18 PM
evdog

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »

This was the first bike stop on my UT/CO 2012 Tour.  OK, so this stop was not a bikepacking tour.  Rather, it was an exploration for future bikepacking in general, if not specifically a recon for the Dixie 211 event next year.  I have wanted to explore this area for some time and given the lack of online info for it, I think this will be valuable for many members of the community.  Enjoy, as much as I did!  I found the Paunsaugunt not to be necessarily as tough as reports suggested but definitely as remote.  It is certainly an area worth visiting both for remoteness and quality trail.  For bikepacking it is certainly worth while, just have to be careful of water sources in drier times of summer and trial reports, since there can be many trees down early season.  On this trip I explored doing loops from camp each day.  Not knowing what trail conditions or water sources would be like this seemed like the smartest option.  It turned out not to be necessary as recent rains meant water sources were plentiful, and the trail was in good condition overall.  The loops I did made rides much longer than necessary.  Turns out Grandview could be ridden in 2-3 days comfortably if decent water was available.  

Pink cliffs visible from camp

A bit of singletrack just a 1/4mi up the road

Cool rock window

Looking down towards the valley, camp is just out of sight on the right

I guess this is Chimney Rock?

You can see a bit of the reservoir in the background.

The trail is very little used, and between grade and loose-ness is tough to ride in places.  

All roads lead to Thunder Mountain

Views from here on will be more familiar to everyone

Hoodoos come into view

I was a bit worried the trail would be wet from recent rains but should not have been, it was dry as can be

Up to the ridge line

I tried self timer shots here on last years trip but they did not work out.  The gorillapod makes things so easy!  It also helps my new camera can do a 10 shot burst with the 10 second delay, not just the single shot my old one was capable of.

The shot I couldn't get right last year.  

The end comes so soon

A self timer would have been awesome here but for the shadows

So, up to this point some are probably thinking, yeah whatever just another Thunder Mtn report.  If you're fortunate, you have maybe explored the other side of Red Canyon on the Losee/Cassidee loop.  But as I was about to find out there is a whole "other world" out there which very few know exists.  But it is right there for the taking, if you have ever seen this sign just before the funnest part of Thunder Mtn near the bottom.

Grandview Trail, what's that?  Is a question that has bugged me for several years.  I think it was 2009 when we first rode Thunder, and I saw the sign.  Never looked much into it until after last year's trip when I saw it again, and it got me digging.  I asked at the Red Canyon Visitor Center a year ago and they knew little about it, just that it had been built by a former district ranger who was an equestrian and it probably wouldn't be good for bikes, a lot of steep ups and downs they said.  Unfortunately, searching online at the time turned up very little else - one equestrian ride report, one trail runner report, and one endurance bike race report that mentioned going just 20 miles in 20 hours due to massive deadfall.  Not encouraging.  In the weeks leading up to this year's trip I searched again.  I found a newer report from this year's Dixie 211 race which mentioned herculean tree clearing efforts on a nearby trail.  I also found a good map on the USFS site.  Having found no good maps previously, this was enough to give me the confidence to go for it.  An apparent lack of reliable water sources meant I would not bikepack it, but rather ride it in sections.  The first section I would try is the start of the trail, from its intersection with Thunder Mountain, on up to where it meets Road 601 for around 13mi.  On the way to Thunder Mountain I would also check out the Chimney Creek Trail and Kings Creek Trail, near the King Creek Campground and Tropic Reservoir.

Some gentle climbing to start.  I still had absolutely no idea what to expect from this trail so every rideable part seemed like a huge bonus

Then some fun scenic descent

Some contouring on orange dirt

Some nice views off the plateau to the west

The trail starts to get rougher, more raw

After a brief section where it is badly eroded, another where it is hidden completely in slash from forest service burn piles, and another where I lose it in grassy meadows, it becomes nice again (for a short distance)

More grassy meadow.  Trail is just outside the pic on the right

It goes through a lot of cow pasture too and can be rough in spots

The climbing at the end was tough, I did some hike a bike and got a bit lost on some cow trails.  But just look for a trail continuing on from the end of each meadow close to where the map shows it, and you will be fine.  I was pretty stoked with this first section.  While hard to follow in places the trail was actually pretty decent, had some good views, no trees down, and mostly rideable.  All that was left was to climb up over the ridge and then bomb back to camp on 5 mi of dirt road.  

Looking back from where I had come, the trail traverses below these cliffs then climbs up some canyons to get to Rd 601.  

Total for the day was 40.7mi, and 5,290ft climbing/descending.  Elev range was 7,300 to 9,100ft.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:22:31 PM by evdog » Logged

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:31:04 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »

The Plateau is pretty big, something like 10-12mi wide and 30mi long with Bryce Canyon National Park forming its east side.  Grandview Trail runs for 78mi all the way around it from Hwy 12 in Red Canyon, eventually ending at dirt roads that will bring you back to Hwy 12 at Cannonville.   The plateau is full of dirt roads and ATV trails but also has a number of non-motorized trails that are worth checking out.  

For Day 2 I wanted to check out a longer stretch of Grandview around the southern end.  One of the reasons this trail does not get ridden much, aside from the fact no one knows about it, is that it is hard to get to.  Any ride on Grandview will require a long dirt road segment or long point to point shuttle to close the loop.  This day would be no different, with close to 14mi of meandering dirt road and ATV trail before getting on the singletrack.  I re-positioned camp in the morning to put me closer to the trails I wanted to ride.

All was not lost however, as even the dirt roads are scenic with little traffic.  In fact, I saw only one person all day today who was camped off one of these roads.

Climbing to the ridge line about to get serious

But the views are worth it

First miles of the trail were right along the top of the cliffs, similar to Virgin River Rim trail but you are even closer and ride the top for much longer.  

Views seem to get better around every turn

Singletrack is not bad either.  Seemed like every time it went into the trees though, things were about to get steep.  It was mostly rideable, but definitely tough in spots.  You can see here the bench is wide enough for ATVs, and there seems to be a bit of a double indentation.  No evidence of any recent ATV use so I wonder if this was not old ATV trail re-designated to non-motorized use.  

But each climb was worth it as it brought more views

Looking south, unfortunately the contrast between sunlight and shadows was really messing with the exposure of most of my shots

Looking back to the ridgeline I just traversed.  Right after this shot the trail takes a steep turn downhill on a section that couldn't decide if it was dirt road, singletrack, or heinous rocky singletrack.  It drops you right off the plateau and onto rough and sandy road 4062.  You are far out there at this point and if anything went seriously wrong here your best option might be to navigate dirt roads down toward Hwy 89 and hitch back to your starting point.

More water sources appear as you get below tree line.  I don't know how reliable these would be through summer.  This ride was only 4 days or so post-rain.

Climbing up to another ridge

Getting around to the south facing part of the plateau the forest and the terrain changes.  You are lower down and more into oak forest, and there is a lot more sand.  This section was brutal, totally unrideable.  Fortunately it was only 100 yards long, but there were a few other stretches like this.

Near one cattle tank I startled some deer, close to 20 total in several groups

Great views open up to the south of the Grand-Staircase Escalante National Monument

The trail wraps around a few final outcrops before it will finally climb back up to the top of the plateau

This means its time for me to hit the couple miles of road 087 back to camp.  Fortunately this was all downhill, and I was able to make it down just in time without lights

Another 20.5mi of Grandview in the bank.  Despite a few crappy spots todays section was pretty rideable.  Only one tree down that I recall, and tread that was in pretty good shape.  And some awesome views.  The only evidence of use was a single set of recent footprints.  

Stats for the loop: 37.3mi, 4,670ft.  Elev 7,400 to 9,230ft.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:24:46 PM by evdog » Logged

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:20 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »

For Day 3 I planned to continue where the prior day left off.  I pedalled 2.5mi back up Rd 087 and then dropped down the singletrack off the plateau.

View before dropping down

There is a short spur trail to a lookout which I rode over to

And then it was on.  The trail near the end of yesterdays ride was pretty rough with a lot of short washouts at water crossings.  This continued today

The trail was also encroached on more by brush and had a few downed trees, though not many

Open areas tended to be somewhat sandy.  Mostly they were still rideable though there was some death sand like I had seen previously

The cliffs are not as impressive, but views are still good

The trail contours for miles along ridgelines and in and out of canyons

Washed out crossing

A few of the canyons had some tough climbs out, like this one coming up

The sections with southern exposure also tended to be overgrown with small oak trees.  

It wasn't fast riding but it was manageable.  Soon enough I hit the intersection with Crawford Pass trail, which I've heard has excellent views below pink cliffs.

I picked this up for luck

Cliffs appear

There were a few washed out crossings like on Grandview but those were short HAB's.  Otherwise the trail didn't climb or descend a lot

At the end of Crawford I turned down Rd 092 for a couple miles.  It sucked descending on road but was the best way to hit the next section of trail.  I ran into a couple kids on ATVs checking out this scene:

At the bottom the road runs into a gated ranch, just after it is crossed by Grandview Tr.  I turned right and headed up Grandview through Pipeline Canyon.  It was a pretty raw section and definitely sees more cattle than any other user.  It was fairly rideable despite some sand, until I got into the trees.  Massive deadfall had been cut out but it was still a tough grind.

I climbed back up to Crawford Pass Tr which I followed to its crossing of Rd 203.  I climbed up some painful switchbacks and then opted for more pain to check out the Pink Cliffs Viewpoint at 9,400.  I think it was worth it.

On the way back down I rode through a stand of trees turning red in addition to yellow.  Nice....

A bit more fire road took me to Mill Creek Trail.  I hadn't paid much attention to the map and thought this was ATV trail, but it was non-motorized singletrack, a happy ending to the ride.

Except for a handful of downed trees.  It dumped me back on 087 less than half mile from camp.

Another 12miles of Grandview.  

Stats for the day:  28.8mi; 4,327 ft gain/loss; elev range 7,460 to 9,400.

Of the three days so far this was my least favorite.  It had the most sand and was the most overgrown.  Brush had not really been a problem on Days 1 and 2.  It was passable, but I would ride Day 2 again if limited by time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:26:35 PM by evdog » Logged

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »

Day 4.  I decided to ride the section which remained between what I rode on Days 1 and 2.  Short, but I had some fishing I wanted to do afterwards as well as a drive up to Salt Lake City.  I drove down to where Grandview meets Rd 601 and did a road ride from there to todays start of the singletrack.  

Visitor appears while getting ready.  I also meet a couple runners, one of whom tells me the trail section I'm about to check out is part awesome, part nasty - or did he say non-existant?

9.5miles of road, ATV track and singletrack will get me back to the top.  Lookout

Singletrack section is nice, things are looking up

I ride some more nice stuff

More views, this one from where the main singletrack starts.  

The maps I have are a bit confusing for this area.  One shows the trail segment I'm about to ride as the Grandview Trail but its continuation as another trail (Camp Eli to Big Hollow Trail).  My other map does not label it, and shows Grandview taking off part way down as another trail.  Hmmm....    Regardless, I start down the trail.  It starts off with a short fun descent.

Then it gets ugly.  Steep sections down lead to steep sections up (HAB)

And more HAB.  Entire sections pretty much obliterated by cattle.  In this area there are sections where multiple cow trails diverge or merge into the trail and its difficult to follow the proper route.

Finally I get higher to some nicer trail

Nice, that is, until it drops down again.  Then it goes from rough to bad to ugly to almost impassable.  This was all HAB down, and tough steep HAB at that.

After that steep HAB the trail is rideable again, but tough.  It is steep with a big rain rut down the middle, and I narrowly avoid a couple yard sales.  The rough stuff ends at the creek, where the trail also more or less ends.  This is apparently the spot where the trail runner lost the trail - Big Hollow Trail.  I see a faint trail crossing the stream and know from the map that the trail parallels the stream just on its north bank.  There are several corridors which could be trail but all seem to dead end in deadfall or brush.  I simply move among them and continue on, and eventually end up on what appears to be real trail.  It is only 1/2 mile from the stream to where the trail makes a hard left, so I keep going.  The trail pops into this meadow and promptly disappears again.

I soon find it contouring the base of the hill to the left, and follow it up and over a pass.  Some HAB, but mostly rideable, and then some nice flowing trail for a while.

More views

The trail soon dumps me out into a big meadow with a cattle pond that I recognized from day 1, so it is an easy connection up to Rd 601 and back to my truck from there.  I drive back down to Tropic Reservoir to check out a water source I had read about.  

I am sure I am not the only one who is thinking what I am thinking, when this comes into view

Found the Tropic spring, roadside off Rd 087 at the south end of Tropic Reservoir.  It is fenced off and signed, you can't miss it.

Its not really clear which parts of the singletrack I rode are Grandview, so I am going to call the whole section from Rd 106 to Rd 601 Grandview.  This was around 7 miles.

Stats for the day.  16.5mi, 3,605ft gain/loss.  Elev range: 7,920 to 9,400.  By far the shortest, but probably the hardest day.  If you do ride this section I would do it sout to north as I did.  Just beware you will be dropping into a deep canyon that you will have to climb out of, and it is much HAB regardless which way you go.  I can't say that I would be interested to ride this again unless it was part of a through ride.

In total, I did roughly 53miles of Grandview Trail over 4 days.  There was a ton more fire road to connect each day's lap.  A through ride appears very doable though you will have to pay close attention to water sources especially in drier times of the year.  I asked the trail runner if he had done the last section of Grandview which I have not gotten to, from Rd 092 to the eastern terminus, 25mi.  He said he has done it recently, and it is like much of the other southern exposed sections - sandy, grown over with oak, dry, and hot due to exposure and being at lower elevation.  I would like to check this out at some point but it is a painfully long shuttle and there is no reasonable loop option because Bryce Canyon NP (no bikes) blocks any loop opportunity unless you want to ride around 25mi to get back to Tropic Reservoir, maybe 40mi if you need to get back to the south end of Rd 087.  Some point I would like to bike pack the whole thing, we'll see....

While I did not ride the entire trail I am calling this exploration a huge success.  The plateau is large and I saw a good part of it (I did a separate day hiking Bryce canyon too).  The 25miles I did not get to I am not going to lose any sleep over given its reported condition.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:28:30 PM by evdog » Logged

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:01:24 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »

Fantastic report Evan, I always enjoy reading about your adventures!! This one is filed away for future reference.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:11 AM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

What a great scout/trip report.
Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and you are right the  Pink Cliffs Viewpoint at 9,400 was worth it. WOW!
I have to say I was getting pretty thirsty just looking thru your picts. How much water were you toting most of the time?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:29:38 AM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:13 PM
stumpyfsr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:13 PM »

Fantastic trip and writing! Views are breathtaking. Also I like that picture with deer. Most people riding already explored trails, including myself. You making new routes. Lewis and Clark would love to hav such people in their team.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:22 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

Thanks guys!

I have to say I was getting pretty thirsty just looking thru your picts. How much water were you toting most of the time?
After seeing plenty of water running on the first day I realized water wouldn't be much of a problem, so I only filled around 2/3 of my 100oz bladder on the other days, maybe more on day 3 in case there was no running water on southern exposures.  I had my filter with me and was able to fill up when needed.  At times when there has been no recent rain you'd be wise to carry more, I don't know how long some of the water sources last without rain.   

Fantastic trip and writing! Views are breathtaking. Also I like that picture with deer. Most people riding already explored trails, including myself. You making new routes. Lewis and Clark would love to hav such people in their team.  thumbsup
Ha, thanks!  I wouldn't call it exploring since I had some good maps.  Quite a few people popped up on mtbr after my post saying they had ridden it or parts of it, just seems like there has been little written about the area. 

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:10:56 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »

Great photos and ride report. I love the Paunsaugunt plateau.

http://2-epic.com/?p=1767 is a ride recon I did up there in June before Dixie 200 this year (2012).

GPX files for the Dixie 200 can be downloaded here http://2-epic.com/events/dixie200.html

See you at 2013 Dixie 200 :-)

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:22 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

Thanks Lynda, yours was one of the reports I saw when I was trying to find info on Grandview.  I am definitely hoping to make it in 2013, but may depend on my employment situation. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: