Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really on: September 23, 2011, 03:00:30 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I had a crack at riding across Australia in fast touring mode using a bike packing setup. While things didn't pan out, I learnt a lot and at least have a cool story to tell and managed to raise some money for a worthy cause.

For anyone that is interested, the write up is here: http://pi11wizard.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/trans-oz-the-wrap-up-part-1/

I took quite a few videos however the camera seems to have corrupted the files so photos are all I have.

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:01:57 AM
SteveW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »

I once rode Sydney-Perth (head wind every day) solo, and despite the flies, have a soft spot for grand touring in Oz. I hope to go back someday, with a similar set-up to you, and fast tour through the middle.

I found out about this race a while back, and have had a little dialogue with the race director.
http://transozbikeride.com/
Although it isn't mountain biking so doesn't totally fit the bill, it is bikepack ultra-racing. It really has my interest and would be a good challenge. If the stars align and I could get enough time off work...

While I'm talking about biking in Australia, this needs a mention too:
http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/route.php
Some great opportunities for tough routes out there.

Steve Wilkinson

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:52 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »

enjoyed your write-up. I have had no spectacular trip fails, but I can relate to over estimating the distance one can cover in a day and to getting frazzled by suburban traffic and bad roads.  I just remind myself not to let myself loose my cool and I find bad incidents don't hang over me like a cloud as long. I like to study routes and plan meticulously, but after I'm well resourced I like to put it all away and ad-lib. One's expectations are almost always the psychological killer.

BTW, steve, thanks for reposting the canning route. That was one of the first adventures I read about that truely captured my imagination.

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:22:29 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »

It was one of those trips where I would have put it off if I didn't have several thousand dollars worth of donations for OCA and everyone excited to track my spot. Knee problems 3 weeks out wasn't how I had planned the lead up Sad Anyways, lots of lessons learnt and the HuRT isn't far away which can destroy my knees all over again Smiley

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:07 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »

Great read  thumbsup

Had a mate do a few deserts a while back, as well as a coast to coast ride a couple of years before - over christmas. He noted the constant headwind slowed him to 15km/hr. Was on a GT hardtail with an extrawheel. I think he even had a crack at the CSR?

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:59 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:59 AM »

I think he even had a crack at the CSR?

That stuff is on a whole other level. One day, although I think I'll wait for a moonlander and have a few teaspoons of cement between now and then

Topic Name: Trans Oz - sorta, kinda but not really Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:10 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »

Quote SteveW-
 While I'm talking about biking in Australia, this needs a mention too:
http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/route.php
Some great opportunities for tough routes out there.

I lived in Halls Creek for 3 years in the early 1990s and the Canning Stock route is a frighteningly remote part of the world. I would not even ride a motorcycle along it.
On one occassion I remember receiving a message from the police that a Land Rover had broken down about 300km southwest of Lake Gregory. The driver was a mechanic and had requested certain parts be flown down so he could repair it. I flew a six seat Cessna 206 down with a local State Emergency Service volunteer in the back to drop the parts out in a couple of heli-boxes ( http://www.pbase.com/stevie_j/image/76293439 ) The driver turned up three or four days later to pay us for the flight, but I can still picture his 4wd stranded in the desert, between the massive red sand dunes, as if it were just yesterday.
Man, that would be a hell of a ride!

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: