Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TR: Yellowstone/Teton Rail Trail on: July 10, 2015, 06:26:20 AM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:26:20 AM »

Rode the full 105 miles of the Yellowstone/Teton Rail Trail last weekend, from West Yellowstone to my front door. A few pics from the trip:

More info here:

http://tetonrailtrail.tvtap.org/

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: TR: Yellowstone/Teton Rail Trail Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:05 PM
jaymtb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »

Hi,
How much of the route is motorized,  and what is  the amount/expected impact,  ie dust,  noise, etc  of motorized use, esp   ATVs. 

Thanks for posting up this info.

Jay

Topic Name: TR: Yellowstone/Teton Rail Trail Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:06:49 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »

Hi,
How much of the route is motorized,  and what is  the amount/expected impact,  ie dust,  noise, etc  of motorized use, esp   ATVs.  

Thanks for posting up this info.

Jay

We rode it on 4th of July weekend, and not suprisingly came across quite a few ATVs, though they were primarily concentrated in the Island Park area. Of course, this was also where we encountered the most sand/loose gravel riding, including one stretch of a few hundred yards that was unrideable on anything less than a fatbike. But I would imagine that 4th of July is about the busiest it ever gets - if you rode it early/late season and/or middle of the week the ATV factor would be a lot mellower.

The stretch along the Warm River gorge is non-motorized, as is the whole lower half of the ride, from the Ashton area to Tetonia (aside from snowmobiles in the winter).

I think a lot of people assume that this rail trail is just a smooth, graded gravel bed the whole way, but that's not really the case. Some of it certainly is, but there are stretches where I was pretty glad I was running 2.25" tires.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:26:09 PM by Smithhammer » Logged

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: