Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes on: March 25, 2015, 04:30:25 AM
Kent F

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:30:25 AM »

Looking for suggestions for summer clipless shoes. I am in need.

I have a pair of LG MTB shoes that I really can't stand even for MTB, and I know they'll be lousy for bikepacking and walking. Interesting I find with the recent boom of bikepacking rigs/gear that footwear seems the one of the neglected areas of gear development.

I like the looks of, and have heard good things about the Giro Alpinduros. Solid, comfy, good for walking AND riding. Unfortunately the thing I've also heard is they run warm and I've been told by some they're probably not a high-heat, dead-of-summer kind of shoe, more cooler temps/wet/fall action. I'm still considering a set (especially since the LBS where I work is a Giro dealer) and trying them maybe with a very light wool sock.

Wondering what other people have found as good shoes, particularly for warmer temps.

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:03 AM
Leeazjr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »

I've been using the specialized rime for the last year or so. Very nice shoes with vibram soles which help a lot with the hiking with the bike. They are black but are vented pretty well and I haven't really gotten that hot in them, even in the Arizona summer. Good luck with the search

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:49:19 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Pear Izumi XAlps or whatever they are called. Not the carbon / pro / whatever ones. Will have a look at the model # when I get a chance.

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:54 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »

I run flat pedals and just use a light hiker. Or whatever is applicable for the season/ weather. And I don't need a camp shoe, just loosen the laces

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:20 PM
Joe13

Mukluk, Vaya, Vaya Ti, Ponythief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »

The Alpinduros are designed and sold as an insulated, cold-weather boot, so I'm not surprised people have found that they 'run warm'.

I've been loving the Terraduros, which are basically the same great sole for walking AND riding as the Alpinduro, but with a lower, 'three season' upper.

The Terraduros are all I ride on my CX and touring bikes. Plenty stiff enough for riding, but a great sole for stopping mid-ride to scramble about on rocks, taking photos, or whatever. Personally, on my mtb/fatbikes I run flatties, and Five Ten or trail running shoes, depending on the trip.

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:33:54 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

I showed up at the start of the Coco 250 w/ 2 left shoes. 1st shop open in Flagstaff that morning was Bike Revolution (Super Great Shop) they had the $130 http://www.mavic.us/footwear-mtb-rush-shoe in my size (42). After lots of hike a Bike & riding my feet never had a problem. The ratchet is a little tricky to loosen, other than that this shoe is easily worth twice the price.
 I have narrow feet but I use wool simi-thick sock w/ these.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:41:17 AM
Kiwi Pete

aka: Kiwi Pete's Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:41:17 AM »

I also use a Pair of Specialized Rime shoes

headbang

Topic Name: Summer Bikepacking Shoes Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:32 PM
Perfpsi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »

Pear Izumi X Alp - great shoe for trail and not bad walking. comfortable enough for extended wear.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: