Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Spoke count on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:22 PM
Joeli7

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »

Hi there
I am planning for a long Baja bikepacking trip.
There  aren't many bike options in my area (27.5+,  HT,  3.0"  tires).
One of the options is the "Specialized Fuse  Comp 6 Fatty".    This bikes meets almost all the requirements but
it has a relatively low 24/28 spoke count.      As a comparison,    the Jamis DragonSlayer Sport 27.5  uses WTB scraper i40  with 32 spokes.

My question is:   would you consider the low spoke count of the Fuse a potential reliability issue?
I am a light person (140lb) but  bike will be heavily loaded (mostly water).

Thanks for any wise words you could provide.

Joel

Topic Name: Spoke count Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:48 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:48 AM »

I do think that low spoke count wheels are a liability when taking a long bikepacking trip. On a long trip like that Baja Divide that has very limited resources along the way I think it makes sense to go for reliability, even if it's a bit heavier. Whatever you end up getting, have the wheels gone over by a competent wheel builder after riding them for a while and before your trip.

Oh, and between those 2 bikes I would definitely recommend the Jamis over the Specialized. Advantages of the Jamis include:

Third set of bottle mounts under the down tube for carrying more water
Steel frame should be a little more comfy
Wider range 11-46t cassette
Adjustable dropouts to run singlespeed in case your derailleur explodes in the middle of nowhere
No dropper: not needed on a ride like that, and an extra thing to possibly break
Tubeless rims/tires are a must on the Baja Divide. The specialized might also be tubeless, but it doesn't advertise it.
Better bikepacking geometry: slightly shorter reach and higher stack for a comfy position

The only thing I don't like on the Jamis is the 32t chainring, should be a bit smaller for a long bikepacking trip.

The Jamis is aimed much more at what you want to do, the Specialized is aimed much more at trail riding.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:11:57 AM by bikeny » Logged

Topic Name: Spoke count Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:26 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »

At your weight you're not in imminent danger of killing a wheel through stress cycles or abuse.

But wheels do fail -- sticks in the spokes, random flipped rocks, etc...  The fewer spokes you have the greater likelihood of possibility here.

I'd ride 'em as is for a ~year while looking for appropriate replacements. 

Topic Name: Spoke count Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:11:56 PM
Joeli7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »

Thank you for  comments!   I am a beginner and this is very helpful.
Turns out that  Salsa Timberjack  (NX  or GX)   is also available.
I would appreciate your views on  Jamis Dragonslayer  vs   Salsa Timberjack for long bikepacking trip.

btw  I have ridden them and both feel great!     not a significant weight difference between the two.

J
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: