Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:12 PM
kikoraa

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »

I'm on a pretty strict budget due to a move coming up so I've been trying to get a setup as cheap as possible. My only big expense will probably be a frame pack. I'm using 2 dry bags from Walmart and straps from an outdoor outfitter we have in town made from peregrine. Here's what I have in those sacks

Seat sack
1 jersey
1 base layer
1 pair of socks
1 pair of leg warmers.
1 t shirt
1 pair of cutoff pants
1 fleece cap

I will be wearing a kit while riding and plan to alternate so I have a chance to wash. I'm very worried about wearing a dirty chamois.

On the bars I have a thermarest ridgerest ccf pad cut down to 3/4 size.
In the sack on the bars I have
1 Custom made permaloft quilt with foot box
1 8.5x8.5 silnylon tarp
1 bivy from Borah gear.

In the jpaks snack pack I will have food for the ride that is easily accessible.

When I get my frame pack I plan to keep tools, cookware, extra food and maps in there.

I will also be carrying my osprey raptor 14 which will contain
3L water
Water filter
Phone
Rain layer
Flip flops (weather permitting)

This will be on my 2015 kona unit. It's currently setup as a single speed but I plan to set it up as a 2x8. I'm a wuss when it's comes to the thought of a multi day loaded ss tour :/

I'm curious as to what you guys take as far as primitive cutlery? I will have a multi tool that will have my knife but I was also curious if I should take a hatchet or larger camp knife? My fiskars hatchet is actually lighter than my Becker bk2 knife but ive had way more time behind the knife than the hatchet. 

Hope this helps some of you who are as fiscally restricted as I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:11 PM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »

I'm a fan of fork mounted water bottle cages. Cateye holders work very well. Getting the weight off the back is a good thing.

I also eat cold food and don't carry cookware.

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:55 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »

Nice going with the cost cutting.

What else ya got in that seat pack? Hard to fathom it would be that full with what you mention it contains.

Cutlery: multi-tool knife.

Power to you for making it work without over-obsessing. Sign of someone who really wants to get out and do it. thumbsup

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:54:27 AM
WalksOn2Wheels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:54:27 AM »

That's a great budget setup. For others looking at this, you can get  a pair of coghlan's sleeping bag straps for about 3 bucks at basically any sporting goods store. With enough creativity, you can get a lot of stuff strapped to your bike that way.

The only thing I would mention is that I have strapped dry bags straight to my saddle rails and after only a couple of days of riding, the thin dry bag was getting even thinner at the contact points. If you can shove another layer between there, it would help. If you are of the DIY type, it's easy to make a harness for your front bag that keeps the bars, cables, etc. from rubbing the bag. And if you dive even more into the DIY realm, you could make a harness for your rear bag to drop in as well. Makes things easier at camp.

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:11 PM
BCSteel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »

Very nice. I'm getting ready for my first overnighter and have almost the same set up going. Dry bag in the back with sleeping bag, clothing and hammock. Front bag has tarp, straps, first-aid, bike repair, food and rain gear.

Have you gotten out with your set up yet?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:34 AM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »

I've never understood where you put the brake/shifter/other cables hanging off the front of your handlebars when you strap things to them like this. Don't they get mashed back against the neck of the bike? I have hydraulic brakes, and am concerned about kinking the hose (so I just use a front rack).

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:25:26 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »

I have a top tube bag just like the one on your Kona, and I used to have it right where you have it. However, after numerous times of stopping for whatever reason, unclipping one leg, and basically sitting on the bag and smashing it, I reversed the orientation and moved it to the front, attached to top tube and stem. You might not have that same problem. It also made it easier to access while riding.

KittyOnMyFoot: I made a harness for my front dry bag using cut pieces of old grips as standoffs. I also have bar extenders inside my brake levers, so I attached the excess strap to these, which lift the whole package up and off the stem/cables, and keeps it nice and steady. I'll try to post some pics. But if you go into the DIY forum, you can see what I'm talking about with the standoffs. Some people use pieces of PVC.

Topic Name: Showing off my budget kit. Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 07:04:07 PM
BCSteel

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »

I got out and tried out my budget kit. After getting the strap routing through the cables it was solid. My two buddies had backpacks on I had only the bike bags. By the end they were a little envious.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: