Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tails from the Saddle: saddling up with your butt for the long haul on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:23 PM
SEC

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »

Hi bikepacking community,
In the interest of happy butts, I've put together some heard-earned butt beta as we head into touring season:
http://southwestbackcountry.blogspot.com/2017/05/tails-from-saddle-saddling-up-with-your.html
My hope is to help folks cut down on all the long internet searching I did getting ready for the Divide last year, and cut down on the fear that your butt may come between you and your goals.  It's worth a shot  icon_biggrin So, please pass onto folks you know who have saddle issues, or might... and if you have any tips or additions, please add them to the comments section at the end of the article.

Happy Touring!!
Sarah

Topic Name: Tails from the Saddle: saddling up with your butt for the long haul Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:04 PM
SLC Tortfeasor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »

Cool stuff.  Thanks for posting!

2016 Salsa Beargrease X7

Topic Name: Tails from the Saddle: saddling up with your butt for the long haul Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:24:26 PM
Spec44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »

thumbsup

Topic Name: Tails from the Saddle: saddling up with your butt for the long haul Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:32 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »

Good write up and pointers. Thanks. One thing that I tell people is that the saddle that is good to you for 8 hours might turn into a rabid snarling chihuahua after 10.

Last year on the TD route, I got waylaid on day 3 by a heat rash. not a saddle sore, but a rash right through the middle. TMI perhaps, but it must be described. It was like sitting on fire even in cool water.

When I got home, I did a post mortem analysis. I was demoralized like you couldn't imagine but was determined to learn from my misfortunes. The analysis showed me a couple of things that you have already mentioned.
- The importance of keeping things as dry and cool as possible.
- The importance of keeping chamois clean and dry. Something that I neglected and paid the price for it.

On day 1, I could feel sweat trickling down my back so on day 2, I tucked a small teri cloth rag right at the top of my waistline. Salty sweat accumulating in the nether areas can come back to haunt you. Especially after 12+ hours. If you do wear a backpack, tuck a rag back there at the waistline to catch the sweat. It works great.

I also investigated 2 other strategies. NO CHAMOIS... and Leather saddles with a center slot.

With a leather saddle, adjustment and break in is very important. My Brooks B-17 Imperial which is great on my road bike is a bit misadjusted on our tandem. I'm tweaking it a bit here and there to get it dialed in better but it is still great for a 55 mile ride. Many leather saddles can also be laced in different ways to adjust tension and countouring which I like. Break in applies to the saddle and your back side. It does take a bit top get toughened up to ride them long distances.

There was a time when I would have considered not having a padded bibs or shorts blasphemy. Now, my sit bones have broken in my leather saddles just right and I am very comfortable.
IMHO, some of the benefits of non padded shorts.
- 3 of my lycra shorts weigh the same as my old preferred bib shorts.
- My lycra shorts take up less room and can be used to pad other items in bike bags.
- The Lycra shorts dry very quickly after being washed.
- Lycra shorts dry quickly even while being worn.
- Airflow. When riding, I will stand out of the saddle and I can feel things cooling off.

My strategies aren't for everyone, but they work for me.

Topic Name: Tails from the Saddle: saddling up with your butt for the long haul Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:35:16 PM
Marc40a

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »

Awesome article.  thumbsup
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: