Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup on: October 04, 2014, 02:45:14 AM
Area54

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2014, 02:45:14 AM »

Here is an article on my ti Fargo - refined for the Kiwi Brevet earlier this year:

http://troyszczurkowski.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/salsa-fargo-ti-kiwi-brevet-2014-setup.html

Enjoy!

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:46:45 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »

That's a great post. Thanks!

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:06:53 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »

Wow!  Great write up. 
Thanks for all the detailed info.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:17:45 AM
alpinum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

Cheers for that.

I store them here so I can get moving and brush teeth while riding

It's those small things thumbsup

I have quite different experience on the X.9 cranks. After 2 years use and abuse in the Alps the arms are in a miserable state (too soft alu) and the shaft rusted. I guess the salsa takes a different bb, but the GXP PF bb on mine broke in half and was quite a mess during disassembly. This on a bike that sees techy trails with low mileage.

As a fellow Witjira-in-the-snow-rider I've been following your very enjoyable blog. Good training and good going for the ITI!

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »

I have just appended the blog post to include the details of the custom ti fork, and detailed a little bit more on some bits of the setup.

Glad you enjoy the blog alpinum! The Witjira is heading out with me again for ITI...counting down!

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:36 PM
bouldernick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »

Loved your write up! Thanks for sharing. Really excited to hear your thoughts on the Schwalbe Thunder Burts. Did they hold up? Which version are you riding?

Happy New Year.

Nick

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:46:15 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:46:15 AM »

Hey Nick, they were a super fast rolling tyre, uber light, everything I wanted. Low centre tread blocks, higher side blocks, quiet and good traction. These were the very first generation to hit Australia, got them about 3 weeks before I headed to NZ.

My first preference was actually the Geax Mezcal, had these for years and 100% proven, but just couldn't get them in time. Thunder Burts were available.

But we failed together. I should have added WAY more sealant initially to account for how much these things weeped. As in sweated on the whole sidewall. They have refined perfectly the amount of rubber to use on the carcass, but then gets made up on the inside in a latex coating. I had little spray jets of latex puffing out all over the place, ended up sticking some cloth patches on with super glue. Sealing particles all done used up Shocked  The bead bucked off the rim on the second day and couldn't reseat with a handpump, I had to stuff one tyre with fern fronds (after my last spare tube flatted)  to get me to a place where I could beg another tube from a racer until the next town.

But the woes didn't end there. The back tyre started to split down the middle. Due to very little rubber covering the carcass between the tread blocks, the rough trail surfaces were chopping the inter-block spaces to shreds. The rubber had worn away and the carcass fabric was wearing on the rocks. Had little choice but to swap the front to back so I could keep an eye on the tyre. Was 2/3rds into the ride, and the closest shop that would have a tyre was about 300metres from the finish, so I had to finish on this tyre.

Should not have raced a tyre with no proven track record  (I normally prefer to have a season on gear to prove itself trustworthy). Should have loaded up with more sealant.

Damaged tyre was replaced under warranty.

Still great fun Smiley

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:22 AM
bouldernick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

Wow! Thanks for the info. A bit shocking given Schwalbe's stellar reputation. Sorry you had such a tough time.

Glad you still finished!

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:30 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »

Seems I wasn't the only one to have issues initially with this first batch, a bit of searching around the forums reveals similar tales of woe. But I think it's all fixed now Smiley

Topic Name: Salsa Fargo ti - the Kiwi Brevet 2014 setup Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:00:28 AM
Himself

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:00:28 AM »

Hi, I'm doing the Tour Aotearoa next year and just found your write up. Thanks for the information, as I'm a newbie at bike packing all information is consumed with relish. I'm riding a Surly Straggler and am just checking before final commitment to the bike that it will be the best choice for a 3,000k off road ride!! Any info/opinion welcomed. Cheers, Stephen.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: