Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: S &S couplers on bikepacking bike on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:46 PM
jackdcuna

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »

Wondering if anyone has experience with S&S couplers for travel and portage.  I am considering retrofitting my steel steed with a set.  How long does it take to disassemble the couplers and whats the least amount of tool to do so? Are they practical for portaging?

Pick up virtue from everyone

Topic Name: S &S couplers on bikepacking bike Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:35:36 PM
SandLizrd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »

I have an S&S-coupled bike, and it's great!
it takes maybe 15 minutes to assemble - the couplers and cable-joiners are trivial compared to wheels / stem / pedals. Packing is about the same, I suppose you can go crazy with padding and tube-wrapping but again, not a big deal.
S&S provides a nice little wrench for tightening the couplers, with a 15mm pedal wrench on the other end.  I keep a couple of 10mm open-ends in case the cable joiners were to freeze up, but usually I just set them finger-tight and everything is OK.

I guess they weigh 1/2 pound but that's hardly worrisome to me.  The technology is amazing and S&S is very particular about their builders so no worries whatsoever about the frame.

Cost is the only downside.  Couplers are expensive, suitcase is expensive, you'll be needing a lot of travel to break even.  29'ers are never going to make the 64-inch limit so I hope you like smaller wheel size.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:41:38 PM by SandLizrd » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: