Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Northern Michigan Route on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:58 PM
wpeterg

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »

I don't know how to embed a link here, but here's the roundabout way to view my first recon of a route that I've been contemplating the last few months:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115796001
or you can view today's blog post at teamterpening.blogspot.com

My basic plan was to head north on the North Country Trail from just north of Harbor Springs and Petoskey to Mackinaw City.  While I've ridden parts of the trail in Wilderness State Park, I purposely bypassed them on Sunday since bikes are technically not allowed and I'd like to nail down a set route that others would be able to ride/time themselves on.  From Mackinaw I rode south on an old rail trail for a little over 40 miles to just south of Indian River.  That was about 85 miles in, and I set up camp next to the river for a good nights sleep.  My plan for the next day was to continue south on the rail trail to Thumb Lake Rd. in order to hook back up with the NCT and finish the loop heading north.  Heavy rains during the night and continuing the next day caused me to pull the plug and slog home due west for 35 miles more in the rain Sad  The total with the bailout was about 118 miles, so I'm thinking the whole enchilada will be well north of 150.  The rail trail was probably the hardest part surprisingly.  I thought it being flat would really let me eat up the miles, but it was a complete mind f**k.  Flat as a pancake so no coasting, and vicious headwind had me a little frustrated.  I've been scouring the maps at home trying to figure out a way to bypass at least part of the rail trail, but I'm thinking that would only serve to make a pretty simple route more confusing.  So that was my weekend adventure.  This was the first long training overnighter, and if all goes well in the next 12 months I'm planning on toeing the line at the Coconino 250 next fall.  If I don't ride this complete route yet this fall, it will definitely be at the top of the list come spring. 

Topic Name: Northern Michigan Route Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:56:10 AM
BHB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:56:10 AM »

Pete,

I am located in the Traverse City area, so the northern NCT route is close to home.  I have completed many rides on the northern NCT over the last 3 years.  I start on the NCT in Williamsburg, go north to Petoskey (118miles).  From Petoskey it is on to Mackinaw City (65miles) then the return trip is on the North Central Rail Trail to Gaylord with a mix of dirt roads and trail to my house in Williamsburg (136miles)

My insight in red:

My basic plan was to head north on the North Country Trail from just north of Harbor Springs and Petoskey to Mackinaw City.  While I've ridden parts of the trail in Wilderness State Park, I purposely bypassed them on Sunday since bikes are technically not allowed and I'd like to nail down a set route that others would be able to ride/time themselves on. 

-The trails (Red Pine) in Wilderness are now open to cycling.  I did my last trip for the summer (Weekend of 9/17/11) on the above route.  The "No Bikes" signage has been removed and for confirmation I spoke with the ranger and staff while they were prepping the trails for a Sunday 10K fun run.  So you do not have to bypass the State Park.  A reroute was a combonation of road and snowmachine trails, not very fun!

From Mackinaw I rode south on an old rail trail for a little over 40 miles to just south of Indian River.  That was about 85 miles in, and I set up camp next to the river for a good nights sleep. 

-My favorite part of the North Central Rail Trail is the Sturgeon River.  Always flowing with the hypnotic trickling sound which puts you to sleep rather fast!

My plan for the next day was to continue south on the rail trail to Thumb Lake Rd. in order to hook back up with the NCT and finish the loop heading north.  Heavy rains during the night and continuing the next day caused me to pull the plug and slog home due west for 35 miles more in the rain   The total with the bailout was about 118 miles, so I'm thinking the whole enchilada will be well north of 150.  The rail trail was probably the hardest part surprisingly.  I thought it being flat would really let me eat up the miles, but it was a complete mind f**k.  Flat as a pancake so no coasting, and vicious headwind had me a little frustrated.

-I have ridden the North Central Rail Trail many times, and it does play with your mind.  Flat, boring at times, void of people and demoralizing if there is a headwind!  I usually put my music on, put my head down and pedal hard!  One time only I had a tailwind!  Watch for elk near Vanderbilt!

I've been scouring the maps at home trying to figure out a way to bypass at least part of the rail trail, but I'm thinking that would only serve to make a pretty simple route more confusing.  So that was my weekend adventure.  This was the first long training overnighter, and if all goes well in the next 12 months I'm planning on toeing the line at the Coconino 250 next fall.  If I don't ride this complete route yet this fall, it will definitely be at the top of the list come spring.

-Most of the alternative routing would be pave with little dirt road and no (As far as I know) trail!  This stuff is addicting! 

So, I usually hit the NCT Northern route a couple times a year.  I am planning for June 2012 an adventure from Copper Harbor back to my house in Williamsburg.  That is roughly 650 miles.  I have 7 days to complete it.  My route is a mixture of rail trail, orv trail and singletrack, pave as little as possible.

Feel free to PM if you need more info or want contact info.

Photos are of my trip the weekend of 9/17/11.  One is at the Larks Lake Road trailhead the other at the Big Mac!

-Chad

* Q LLR.jpg (38.77 KB, 448x336 - viewed 453 times.)

* Q MB.jpg (33.97 KB, 413x336 - viewed 400 times.)

Topic Name: Northern Michigan Route Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:06 AM
wpeterg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:06 AM »

Thanks for all your thoughts and observations, and good luck on what sounds like a fun long ride next summer.  Is that a Quiring I see in the photos you posted?  I have three bikes built by Scott, and I love every one.  I'll let you know if I think of any questions, I may be interested in extending my route south in your direction in the future.

Topic Name: Northern Michigan Route Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:22 AM
BHB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:22 AM »

You are correct!  It is a custom Quiring. 

Steel 29er in a size XXL.

Next year I am doing some treks south on the NCT to 40th street (Newaygo) with a return trip on the White Pine Rail Trail home.

You are always welcome to travel with me/us (Brother & friends) on any adventure.

The Yooper route is mapped, just have to wait for June 2012.

Chat later,

Chad

Topic Name: Northern Michigan Route Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:04:34 PM
samh

Ultralight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »

U.P. to T.C. sounds awesome!

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: