Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:59 AM
Hondo

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »

First post - kudos to all of the great information being shared on here.

Soliciting for opinions, is anyone using one of these for bikepacking or ultra-racing?  On paper - this looks like a good all-around bike that could also be used for gravel races.  Tons of triangle space for a frame bag, thru axles, anything cage mounts etc.  Not sure of the tire clearance though.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:30:46 PM
Hondo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »

Negative thoughts are welcome.  I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with my Krampus as a bikepacking/gravel racing rig.  After owning it for a year, my impression is that it is very sluggish to say the least (particularly climbing) and I could gain some speed with another type of bike.  In central Illinois I don't have many options to demo.

Thanks!

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:58 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:58 PM »

You know, I think there's just so much discussion out there on what the right rig actually is, when in fact, it's all of them.  If you can spend mile after mile comfortably in the saddle, and it makes you happy, you nailed it.  If anything, you could just add it to your quiver of bikes... can't have just one, right?  Wink

The Krampus is a great ride, maybe not fast, but it probably checks a lot of the boxes on the harsher/softer side of the terrain.  Keep the Niner for fast touring, gravel and hardpack.  If you really only want one, I'd still keep the Krampus and get a milder/lighter/faster wheelset. 

Disclaimer: I've never ridden a RLT9, and my opinion could change dramatically if I had.

Good luck, bud.

Steve

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:04:21 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »

Here's another thread, but similar.
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/question-and-answer/i-need-a-frame-thoughts/

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:50 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »

I went with the Surly Karate Monkey and I run Nano Raptors which are 2.1" tires I believe. you might look at putting a smaller set of tires on your Krampus to see how it handles. It might give you a little more climbing speed and a little less sluggishness.

Speaking from the perspective of my carbon Broadaxe that broke. It weighed in at 2.8 pounds. My KM weighs 6. So there is a 3.2 pound difference that I don't really feel climbing. It might be a tad more sluggish than the carbon, but when geared up, that won't really come into play.

I live in NE Tennessee but I grew up in East Peoria. Where are you located? There is a great bike shop in Springfield. that is where I get almost all of my rims these days.

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:41:04 PM
cackalak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »

I don't have an RLT, but do own a steel All City bike with similar geometry.  Although I could take it bikepacking, anything more than graded dirt roads, I would not be happy after a few hours on rough terrain.  I've taken it on singletracks, and while the 43mm tires provided some cush, it would not be an ideal set up for the long excursions.

I think a great size is fast rolling 2.0-2.2" 29er tires.  Good traction, RR, and girth needed to navigate through the rougher patches.  I have 2.2" tires on my Salsa Fargo and they do everything well.  You may want to downsize the tires on the Krampus to see how you like it.  Then look at racing rigs like the Salsa Cutthroat if that sort of riding is your thing.

Topic Name: Niner RLT 9 Steel Thoughts Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37:21 AM
Hondo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »

Thanks guys - great input.  I have acquired a second set of wheels outfitted with 2.2 inch GEAX Saguaros and they seem to fit the bill!  Seems that the Krampus has such a high bb, that just about any tire within reason work.  Also swapped the saddle to a Brooks C15 Carved, but the jury is still out on that..

bakerjw - I am 50 miles west of Springfield, are you referring to velomine?  If so, are you happy with their wheel builds?

Thanks again
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: