Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:49 AM
Billw

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »

I'm new to this and would love to find a bike that I don't have to do any, or very little, modifications for bikepacking.   I'm not technical on all the jargon.  Just looking for the best deal to get started.   I see that Trek has a 920 and 1120 that seem to be built for this purpose.  Those are $2k and $2.5k.  Is that what I need to spend for a decent bike already set up?  I see many use Surely and other bikes but like I said, I didn't want to have to rebuild an entire bike after buying it....or is that what I need to do?

I'm 6' about 230lbs (which is a big motivator for doing this)
I travel often for my job to places like Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon,  Tennessee,  ECT.  I like to camp when I travel and bikepacking is very appealing.
Thanks for any input!

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »

It really depends on what sort of riding you'll be doing. The phrase "bikepacking" can be used for anything from fatbiking through the arctic to traveling inn to inn on a pavement credit card tour. If you like bringing a laptop, camp chair, portable shoe rack, and 6 pints of icecream, you'll need a very different set of bags than if you plan on going race pace and enjoy drilling holes in your toothbrush.

You mention doing a bunch of travel. If you are traveling by air, getting a bike that has a frame which comes apart (whether with S&S couplers, or something custom like a Ritchy Break-away) could save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:20:08 PM
Billw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

I drive all over the country so I can transport my bike easily on a hitch mount.
As far as what kind of backpacking?  Off road trails, nothing crazy technical, some road dirt and gravel.   Just an overall decent bike that can handle it. Not doing jumps or downhill madness, but it should be able to handle a variety of terrain.
 The trek 920 seems like a good fit, even the 1120.  But I'm sure not an expert so I don't know if that's just overpriced hype or to get a nice start that's what I'm going to spend.  I don't want to spend more the  a car! Haha

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:10 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »

I've heard good things about the Trek 920, as well as the very similar Specialized AWOL. Both come with racks front and rear, which if you are going to use them, will save you a bunch of money. The top of the line AWOL also comes with a generator and light, which is a huge cost savings too. Both of these bikes will serve you well if you plan on riding with racks and panniers like what Ortlieb offers. If you are going to use the typical "bikepacking" bags, instead of panniers, then you could probably save some money by buying a bike that doesn't come with racks.

But both are good solid bikes that won't do you wrong, as far as I'm aware.

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

I'd reco an economical used hardtail for starters.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:19:30 PM by offroute » Logged

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:31 AM
Lmike6453

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:31 AM »

How about a Salsa Fargo? Not sure if this is best, but it's something I'm looking at for myself because it's labeled as the jack of all trades bike. By swapping tires, supposedly it can be used effectively for on pavement touring as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:48:53 AM
Billw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »

I was looking at the fargo, the ECR, 1120, 920, etc...so many things to consider it makes ones head spin. At first I saw the 1120 and thought that looked very cool and I grew up knowing the Trek and Cannondale brands...but obviously there is a lot more to consider than the look of a bike and name recognition.  I do like the rack set up on that and from the marketing videos it looks like it's targeting what I am looking for...But I can't find much information from people that actually own them....  The Salsa and Surly brands seem to be the most popular....I am going to my local bike shop today to talk to them about an ECR although they don't have one in stock....I can't even find the 1120 or 920 in stock around me and the kid I talked to at the Trek dealer here was zero help...I have a really hard time dropping that kind of cash on something I can't even see or sit on until I buy though...I just bought my daughter a used car for not much more than I am about to spend on this bike.
Honestly I just wanted to buy something already set up that I could just throw some bags on and go.  I'm not looking to become an expert on what all the different options are at this time. Since I am new to this I don't know all about the gearing and which works best, which derailer is better, brakes, seatpost, and so on.  I don't know what bike or options fits my riding style since I don't have a style yet.  Tire size, handlebar type....ugh...  I just want the best jack of all bike I can find for around $2500+-....I calculated that after the bike and racks I'll end up spending another couple thousand on camping gear, shoes, accessories, etc.
 I have read many many forums and reviews.....so many different opinions.  I do know that I am not looking to race or do crazy stunts, but I do want something I can get on some nice trails with and do multi day trips.
Again, I travel often for my business, I have a small IT contractor business.  I drive 60k miles a year to all parts of the US.  I try and camp as much as I can when I travel and always wanted to carry around a nice bike to go exploring the mountains and national parks.  I want to get a bike in the next couple of weeks...I have been holding myself back from making an impulse purchase and doing my due diligence in selecting something that is just right.....or maybe I am just overthinking this too much..

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:40:42 AM
aphoto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »

I'd look at the new Karate Monkey. Relatively inexpensive and does everything you talk about wanting to do.

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:05:44 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »

Considering that you're just getting into this, and not really sure if you'll love/like it, I'd shy away from spending that much dough on a bike. +1 on looking for an inexpensive, used hardtail to start. It will do what you're looking for, and then if you decide that you really love bikepacking and want to invest, you're really not out much money when it comes time to upgrade, and you'll also have a better idea of where you want/need to invest. Good luck!

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:29:13 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »

Sure you can go on a budget and buy used but if you have the cash and want something new then go for it. I think you would have a lot of fun on the Trek 1120. Will handle everything you want to throw at it. If you are traveling and camping a lot having a bike along makes sense.

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 06:43:51 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »

The Trek 1120 looks like a pretty sweet bike, and if you can afford it, I say go for it. you can buy a set of revelate bags for nearly any bike out there, so I lean more towards picking a bike that you'd like to ride.

Right now I'm riding a Diamondback overdrive carbon, it's basically a hard tail 29er cross country bike. I normally just ride for a few hours several times a week, but I slap on my bags, add a bit of air to my tires, and I'm set to go bike packing.

As long as the bike fits you and is mechanically sound, you can bike pack with it without rebuilding it.

Topic Name: Newb looking for a bike Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 06:44:03 PM
jeffabe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »

I started not to long ago myself and purchased a Giant Sedona DX $450 to do short casual rides on groomed trails or pavement. I decided that I  really enjoyed riding but wanted something more so I  did endless research  like so many do and almost went crazy with the  choices. I want to ride both pavement and forest gravel/fire roads so for me it was a toss up between the Surly troll or Salsa Fargo. As soon as I  was able to ride the 2018 Salsa Fargo GX, cream colored, I  fell in love.  So far it has served me very well and now that the snow has fallen I  also purchased a used 2016 Salsa Mukluk and enjoy this one as well. It allows me to easily travel the snowy forest roads until the snow melts and I once again can ride the Fargo.

There are so many good choices, I  don't think you have to ride them all just a few to understand what feels good. The one thing I  do know for sure and that was very surprising is that the Woodchipper drop bars are awesome. I weigh 235lbs, am 52 years young and 5' 10" tall. I find the Woodchippers much more comfortable than the flat bars that I  have used. As a matter  of fact I  just replaced my Mukluk flat bars with Surly Moloko bars because after 8 miles the flat bars would cause my hands to go numb but with the moloko bars riding 36 miles never bothers my hands because of the many different hand positions avaible just like on the woodchippers.

Hope something I  said helps. Good luck.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: