Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Nam Desert Trip - Need your advice! on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:28 PM
Jon Adams

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

Hey all
New to the website but have done a bit of bikepacking before but this next one on the cards is much longer and in much harsher conditions

So, I'm planning to bikepack the length of Namibia (desert country in Southern Africa). It is majority desert and I will be doing it in the summer so temperatures will sometimes get over 50 degrees Celsius. Length wise we were planning to take about 30 days.
Anyways if anyone has any tips for gear and planning, plus any general tips on bikepacking (meals, navigation, etc)
Most importantly anything particular about desert riding such as tires to use, water management, riding in the heat, etc

All input is most welcome and much appreciated

Thanks
(And if anyone's around this part of the world come along!)

Topic Name: Nam Desert Trip - Need your advice! Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:06:51 PM
Stickboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »

Here's a link to get you started.  Good friend Guy Jennings is in your neck of the woods. You might consider reaching out to him for trip details.

http://fat-bike.com/2014/09/a-traverse-of-the-namib-desert-by-bill-fleming/

Topic Name: Nam Desert Trip - Need your advice! Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:24:11 PM
Jon Adams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »

Thanks! I'll try get in contact with him
We weren't planning on using fat bikes but I'm sure those trip details will still be very useful
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: