Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kokopelli water reports? on: April 19, 2018, 02:42:51 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »

I'm riding the Kokopelli trail starting this Sunday, April 22nd.  Was wondering if anyone has any recent information about water availability?
Many thanks in advance,

Malcolm

Topic Name: Kokopelli water reports? Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:49:28 AM
HOser

Too busy looking good

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »

This reply will be too late to help the OP, but I'll share anyway, perhaps it will help others. A friend and I just completed a self-supported run on the Kokopelli, from Fruita to Moab, and had good luck with water. We were prepared to filter from the river but never had to. Here's where we saw water:
  • Westwater Ranger Station - I called in advance and the ranger said there was no longer potable water available here. This was not a surprise, it has also been mentioned on other forums for the last year or so. When we rolled up to the far boat ramp next to the ranger's house where the public spigot is, it was indeed not working. However there was a hose bib on the ranger's house itself. We would have felt better asking permission to use it but we arrived after 4:30 (official closing time for the ranger) so we just went for it. No one came out to scold us. We filtered it to safe, but this probably wasn't necessary.
  • We found a beautiful spring-fed pool of cold, clear water in Yellow Jacket Canyon below what the maps call Buck Spring, about a mile or two from Dewey Bridge on the Fruita side. If you go down the wash away from the cliff face you'll get to a water fall, scramble down it to find a pool of water several inches deep. Based on the rate of flow we saw I expect this pool to persist for a few weeks at least.
  • We found another spring-fed pool behind the Hideout Canyon camp ground which is not far past Onion creek (BTW don't drink from Onion creek, apparently you'll risk mine contamination). It was only two inches deep but it was enough. I expect this to not last long.
  • There was water flowing across the trail a mile past Hideout camp ground.
  • After this, water becomes plentiful, e.g. Fisher Creek and Castle Creek. You can melt snow too if needed.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: