Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #380 on: May 26, 2016, 06:53:50 AM
black_labb

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »

Hi Everyone

I'm an experienced bike tourer and I've done quite a bit of remote touring off the roads. I haven't toured using bike packing gear as my remote tours usually involve carrying 1-3 weeks worth of food which is hard to do without panniers. I have documented some of my trips on CGOAB. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/black_labb
The most relevant journals for offroad travel would be "The great Siberian offroad adventure" or "Exploring Anticosti"

I'm getting more into singletrack riding now that I have a half decent hardtail. I am starting to look at setting it up for some bikepacking trips in the future so I can ride a bit more playfully on rougher firetrails or singletrack. I've recently become interested in the Colorado and Arizona trails and will probably try to get over to that side of the world in the next few years. Having such extensive good riding in stunning remote areas with opportunities to restock food every few days is hard to find here in Australia.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #381 on: June 03, 2016, 05:27:53 PM
LINK

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »

Hey. New to the forum. More just cause I like to read what people are up to and don't want to be too much of a "lurker." So making my presence known. Haha

Iv'e been a cyclist my whole life. BMX racer as a kid/teen. Then just mountain biking and cruising since. Took the plunge into bikepacking with my amazing girlfriend over the last year and a half. I make all our gear as sewing has been a hobby for as long as cycling. Machinist by trade. Just love making stuff.

Hoping to learn and contribute. Peace.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #382 on: July 06, 2016, 06:01:29 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 06, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »

Hi,

I'm an ex climber/mountaineer then ex fell runner (fell is a northern British word for hill or mountain) before taking up cycling as my main activity though I have ridden bikes for most of my life.

Did a few years of road touring then, along with my wife, got in to bikepacking about 18 months ago and now do a mixture of general wandering about and UK based ITTs. We are fortunate enough to live on the edge of one of our national parks and have ready access to a large selection of trails. I like to think I've brought some of my lightweight minimalist alpine skills along but I keep learning new things and of course what was lightweight in the 1980s is nowhere near today's interpretation.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #383 on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:28 AM
cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:28 AM »

hi,I'm Danny aka cowboy,been riding bikes since I was 7. I'm 51 now. Longest ride;Russell Springs,Ky to Lexington,Ky[ 120miles]pulling a converted child trailer with enough stuff to survive a month[bivvi,stove-Coleman peak1,two sleeping bags[40 degree Outdoor products and the lightweight patrol bag that came with the gortex bivvi]months supply of food,and a Camelbak Mule.My bike is a 1994 Cannondale Delta v 600 converted with dropbars,bar-end shifters and aerobars,and fenders[to keep to mud off my rack and me]Happy trails.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #384 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:22 PM
hubang

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »

Hi! I'm Zac.

I watched "Ride the Divide" once and thought they were all nuts! I watched it again, and thought that it looked doable. I watched it a third time and decided I need to make a stab at it. Training and prepping for a 2018 run.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #385 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:57 PM
freewheelingal

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »

leslie here. been haphazardly riding bikes since I could walk, but never took it beyond commuting to summer jobs really, although I did endure a few phases of riding off some heartbreak Smiley  a self-described dabbler....my Gemini personality tends to ebb & flow in my choice activities, but one truth remains: middle age governs a characteristic respect for the being, particularly that of the body, so my thinking is that trading feet for tires may be the best decision yet. like most, I have high hopes & big dreams, & am challenged by the mystery of the unknown. in with the new, ... enlighten me, please!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #386 on: October 17, 2016, 10:32:47 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 17, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »

Just ran across this thread. Eric here (GuacaHolyMoly on this forum, which is what I named my Tequila Lime Salsa El Mariachi). I've been on a bike since a kid. At 18 got into road racing and raced regionally for various teams up until about 10 years ago (I'm 50). During that time I also backpacked a lot, and when I watched Ride the Divide a huge light bulb went off so I got a mountain bike and traded speed for exploring. Cancer derailed any plans 4 years ago, but now I'm back at it with gusto. I'm hoping to take a stab at the TDR next year.
This forum, and everyone here, has been an invaluable resource in planning, getting inspired, getting educated...thank you!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #387 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:24 PM
Demian

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

Hey there people - love this forum and have spent quite a bit of time reading trip reports and drooling over gear. I am lucky enough to live in Colorado and have done some great rides this year. Dropped over 40 lbs in the process, too. I have a Krampus and just started building up a bike with much larger tires. Will post up progress on that beast.

Also I have a cross/anything/anywhere bike that I have taken on some short overnighters. Biggest challenge for me is finding good humans to go with, so let's remedy that shall we? Smiley

Get your haul on.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #388 on: November 03, 2016, 05:38:16 AM
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »

Hi Everybody,

I'm Karl.  UK (Manchester) based bikepacker.  I enjoy mountain bike ITT events as well and have completed the Highland Trail,  BB200 and the Peak 200 this year.  I set off on my biggest adventure on 1st March 2017, riding 2500 miles from home to the top of Europe (Nordkapp, norway).

If your interested you can read about my adventures @ www.karlbooth.com

Ride Safe!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #389 on: November 04, 2016, 08:22:11 AM
wood_dweller

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 04, 2016, 08:22:11 AM »

Hi!!!

I am Tom, I am interested in DIY and bicycle touring. I started from road cycling - I appreciated ridding long distances, but than I found that with narrow tires I am loosing something  icon_scratch With each year I am using slightly wider tires.

I have five bikes but I will write about two of them. My first bikepacking machine is drop bar converted Fuji Sundance with 2x10 drivetrain.

On the way - testing my DIY carradice style saddle bag.

My newest bike is my own built of 29er with Salsa Woodchipper bars. On photo latest version of DIY saddle bag and my new DIY ultralight bag support.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #390 on: November 23, 2016, 08:24:59 PM
rimugu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2016, 08:24:59 PM »

Writing from north Mejico. Not as avid bikepacker as I would like to (work, kids, wife, etc.)
But like to ride and will soon do it in a new bike now that my trusted Specialized is going to retire.
Wishing to someday continue the Great Divide Route further south.

@rimugu:matrix.org

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #391 on: January 09, 2017, 09:21:43 AM
vulpes

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 09, 2017, 09:21:43 AM »

Hey everyone. Aykut here, from Istanbul, Turkey. Not a bikepacker yet but waiting for weather to get better and in that time preparing my bike & gears. Just finished my first diy framebag, you can check it out on instagram/runawayvulpes . Cheers !

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #392 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:11 AM
ootini

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »

Hello,

I'm Dave, mid-thirties and from Wales in the UK. Relatively new to bikepacking, but pretty keen. I look forward to annoying you all with silly questions very soon.

Ta-ta

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #393 on: February 08, 2017, 11:39:55 AM
Oylerz

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »

Hey all!

I'm Jonathan. Been cycling for years, but just discovered bikepacking. Got a great bike last year and now I'm gearing it up for a couple adventures this summer. Planning to try my hand at making my own frame bag soon. Looking forward to learning more here and applying that knowledge on a few trips.

Cheers!  thumbsup

* 20170122_164111small.jpg (394.13 KB, 1151x817 - viewed 563 times.)

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #394 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:21 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »

Hey all!

I'm Jonathan. Been cycling for years, but just discovered bikepacking. Got a great bike last year and now I'm gearing it up for a couple adventures this summer. Planning to try my hand at making my own frame bag soon. Looking forward to learning more here and applying that knowledge on a few trips.

Cheers!  thumbsup

You don't see a headtube/toptube/downtube junction like that much anymore. Is that steel or ti?

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #395 on: February 08, 2017, 07:07:27 PM
Oylerz

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

Steel. It's a Bombtrack Beyond. Awesome bike! Bombtrack makes good bikes.

I agree the headtube is unusual

Edit: the bike is similar in dimensions to a Salsa Fargo. Headtube would be roughly similar on a size L.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:13:04 PM by Oylerz » Logged

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #396 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:56 PM
JellyRoll

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »

In fifteen months I want to be standing over my bike in Banff, Alberta, on the GDMBR trail, which will be my 60th birthday. I can't think of a better way to bring in the beginning of my senior citizenship than spend a couple months riding the GDMBR. I want to set off on the trail the day of my 60th.

I do not want to get old, but its happening whether I like it or not. I guess that I can embrace it, or fight it. I think that embracing it and going full-throttle into my senior years will be a hell of a lot more exciting than sitting around and getting all Alzheimered-out and staring into space like a deer in the headlights. Not for me.

I'm a retired GI, and a retired industrial repair machinist. Been married 40 years. Bike mechanic was my first after school job when I was 13, and I been paying taxes to Uncle Sam ever since. Here are my bikes:

Specialized Roubaix
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Trek Wahoo 29er
Motobecane Boris X5

Thanks for reading. See you in the forums!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #397 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:00 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »

In fifteen months I want to be standing over my bike in Banff, Alberta, on the GDMBR trail, which will be my 60th birthday. I can't think of a better way to bring in the beginning of my senior citizenship than spend a couple months riding the GDMBR. I want to set off on the trail the day of my 60th.

I do not want to get old, but its happening whether I like it or not. I guess that I can embrace it, or fight it. I think that embracing it and going full-throttle into my senior years will be a hell of a lot more exciting than sitting around and getting all Alzheimered-out and staring into space like a deer in the headlights. Not for me.

I'm a retired GI, and a retired industrial repair machinist. Been married 40 years. Bike mechanic was my first after school job when I was 13, and I been paying taxes to Uncle Sam ever since. Here are my bikes:

Specialized Roubaix
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Trek Wahoo 29er
Motobecane Boris X5

Thanks for reading. See you in the forums!

I'll be there with ya! I was planning to do it this year, but too many family obligations nixed it, so next year it is. My birthday is June 12, so I figure I'll spend it camped out somewhere in Montana. Not too shabby.

As far as getting old and all Alzheimered-out, here's an interesting article, and I know they're currently conducting some further studies elsewhere on the matter:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/cycling-brain-health-115401

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #398 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:01 PM
norphi

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »

Hi all,

After a long break from cycling (15years), I decided to pickup a couple of new XC bikes last year. I got these mainly for rails to trails trips and eventually some long holidays bikepacking. It hasn't been easy getting back on the bike due to knee problems which I think are now resolved, but I love it, I want to be out there seeing new things everyday. If only we didn't have to work!

I'm looking forward to whatever bikepacking trips I find myself on in the future, maybe I'll see some of you out there.

Smiley

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #399 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:57 PM
Guild44

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »

I've posted a little bit on here (in preparation for bikepacking the Colorado Trail, Tour Divide and Arizona Trail Race). I've since moved to Northern Arizona and am hoping to do some bikepacking trips around here. Hit me up if you're local and want to bikepack on trails!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: