Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:25 PM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »

I just put down a deposit with Scott Quiring www.quiringcycles.net to build me a steel Fargo'ish frame and fork with Paragon sliders to accommodate single speed/fixed riding when I'm not using it for touring. I'm hoping to do the White Rim trail later this year. 

Good choice. Make sure you get bottle mounts on the fork as well, like the Fargo has. They really are nice to have if you use a full sized frame bag.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #141 on: August 06, 2010, 07:50:09 AM
Tommignon

Bikertents.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2010, 07:50:09 AM »

Name is Tom and the Wife's is Mignon hence the name tommignon.  We love to ride Mountain Bikes.  She isn't into sleeping on the ground so the bike packing will probably be with friends.  I too drool at the Fargo and the New Mukluk from Salsa.  I added the Drop Bars to the old Schwinn Rigid MTB and love it. Some day I'll buy the Fargo, until then it's Fargolite.  I am looking for some 2 day length adventures in Western Washington any help there would be appreciated.  Great site. 

* Bike Near Bumping Lake.jpg (245.19 KB, 653x490 - viewed 549 times.)

* Riding Bike.jpg (230.78 KB, 653x490 - viewed 541 times.)

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #142 on: August 09, 2010, 02:27:55 PM
Blues Frog

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »

Hi, I'm Blues Frog and I'm hooked on the idea of touring with no support and not necessarily on roads.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:16 AM
maadjurguer

Sandbagger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »

Hey all....I just caught the bikepacking bug thanks to my first trip engineered by Chad up on the Kaibab.  I'll post up a trip report here soon elsewhere.

Ridin' is just somethin to do until it starts snowin
http://maadjurguer.blogspot.com/

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #144 on: August 12, 2010, 08:47:15 AM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »

Hello my name is Nick,

I'm a long time mountain biker from North Vancouver BC but noob bikepacker. I have been riding the North Shore for over 15 years (riding bike all my life) and now after a somewhat serious injury (and 2 kids) looking for something new. Love reading about the great adventures some of you had and hope to contribute in the not to distant future.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #145 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:17 PM
moonfroggy

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »

Hi I'm Bug. I'm another noob
i live in west marin and am planning my first bikepacking trip in about a month. going into point reyes and taking my almost 3 year old son and husband along. when i am not on my bike i am exploring the world with my kid or working on an art project. looking forward to learning more and talking to others about bikepacking!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #146 on: August 29, 2010, 07:40:26 PM
Dallas.S

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

Hello, I'm Dallas.
I'm from Iowa and in my mid-30's. I've been riding bikes and loving the rugged outdoors since I was 7. My first bikepacking trip was when I was 16 (way before I knew it was a sport). I loaded up my camping equip and hauled it 25 miles (all road), just because it sounded like a fun challenge. I've been hooked since.
But the flat stretches of Iowa roads became boring sleepy1, so I started MT biking (mountains in Iowa? ok, off roading). The closest place for this is Backbone State Park, where they have 10 miles of MTB trails and a primitive campground. This has slowly redirected me back to the sport I now know as bikepacking.

My equipment- I have an el cheapo 18 speed, 26 inch, dual suspension Roadmaster. It has lasted 10 years and over 1500 miles on not-so-flat terrain.
As a metal fabricator, I have built my own cargo rack and 'Bob' trailer.
I never go anywhere without my Garmin Etrex Venture HC.

My next big trip is the Centennial Trail in the Black Hills National Forest, SD in the spring of 2011. I'm looking for riding buddies for this one.

Screw the oil companies! Where's my bike?

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #147 on: August 29, 2010, 08:48:04 PM
Lonesome Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »

Whereabouts in Iowa are you Dallas? I've hiked at Backbone, but didn't know they allowed bikes.  I'd check out Decorah and Sugar Bottom near North Liberty if you're looking for some more trails in the general area.  As you know though most "bikepacking" in Iowa is really gravel road touring, but it's better than nothing.  Welcome to the forums!

-Matt Maxwell

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #148 on: August 30, 2010, 02:54:13 PM
Dallas.S

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »

I'm the Waterloo/Waverly area.  Backbone allows bikes on most of the trails, but a few are hiking only.
I recently found out about Decorah and Sugar Bottom and hope to ride them before too long. There are some in the Des Moines area that I will be riding soon, as well.

Screw the oil companies! Where's my bike?

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #149 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:41 PM
Lonesome Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »

I overnighted in George Wyth SP on one of my gravel tours.  I'm not sure what their use regulations are, but Camp Ingawamis has some nice trails.  There are a surprising number of options in your area.  If you want to know more talk to Mark at Europa Cycles.  He's in the know about all the trails in the area and does a little bikepacking himself. 

As far as the DSM area, I haven't done the Science Center trails, but hear good things.  Seven Oaks near Boone is the best mountain biking in the state.  I did a little S24O there a few years back.  Miserable night, but good riding.

-Matt Maxwell

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #150 on: September 04, 2010, 03:46:55 AM
griplimited

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »

Johnson here from LA County, SoCal. Biking since I was on training wheels. Graduated to 20in wheels GT, then to road bike. Now integrating more mountain biking when time permits.

Love the content here and gives a different perspective on ways of packing. Generally we all want to be minimalists, and somehow we end up with the suitcase.

Have two little ones now, a 22month old and a 7week old addition to the family. I'm turning 30 this month and was planning a trip from San Fran > Los Angeles with consent from the wifey and was well prepared/geard. However I didn't want to take that much time away from her and the little ones, so a change of plans includes friends and Angeles Crest towards Mt. Baldy. Most haven't done any camping so it'll be an adventure for all in good and bad ways.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #151 on: September 12, 2010, 05:42:38 PM
wild_bike

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »

Gosh, Guess I ought to introduce myself here as this looks like a great resource and I'm hoping to tap this collective for up-to-date stuff.

I'm an older bikepacker from a few years back or so who's been out of the league but have a new bike and want a couple more.

Done lots of camping and bike riding since I's a wee one starting on a road bike in the east. Once the mtn bike came out I left the road bike behind. Then maybe burned out on the mtn bike a little and got into adventure racing. Burned out on that and did some walking and related stuff and now here I am, back to the veloci-steed, albeit new and big and full.

Hoping that I can learn from those here that have experience with all that new fangled componentry and materials and techniques out there. I have plans for rides, long and lonely and hopefully light. But I need help.

I've posed a couple questions in the "questions forum" but unsure how to pry answers out....and posted a couple photos from old bikepacking trips.

RD in AK

* 2bikesOnLagoon.jpg (140.48 KB, 792x492 - viewed 407 times.)

* CreekCrossing.jpg (218.36 KB, 305x450 - viewed 416 times.)

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #152 on: September 14, 2010, 01:09:45 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »

Gosh, Guess I ought to introduce myself here as this looks like a great resource and I'm hoping to tap this collective for up-to-date stuff.

I'm an older bikepacker from a few years back or so who's been out of the league but have a new bike and want a couple more.

Done lots of camping and bike riding since I's a wee one starting on a road bike in the east. Once the mtn bike came out I left the road bike behind. Then maybe burned out on the mtn bike a little and got into adventure racing. Burned out on that and did some walking and related stuff and now here I am, back to the veloci-steed, albeit new and big and full.

Hoping that I can learn from those here that have experience with all that new fangled componentry and materials and techniques out there. I have plans for rides, long and lonely and hopefully light. But I need help.

I've posed a couple questions in the "questions forum" but unsure how to pry answers out....and posted a couple photos from old bikepacking trips.

RD in AK
Welcome!
Looks like some wild times!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #153 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:54 AM
otis

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »

Hi I'm Owen.

I am a MTB weekend warrior from Australia, but I am planning a trip to South East Asia in December.  This will involve a couple of days of supported group singletrack riding in Thailand, and then a solo ride across the skinny part of Laos and Vietnam.        I will probably run some small rear panniers - I think that makes it not "bikepacking" in the purest sense, right?   The solo tour will be probably a 50/50 combo of dirt and blacktop.    And I will only be camping occasionally (part of my ride  is apparently "tiger country"... so def indoors at night for that part!!)....

Anyhoo, I stumbled on this site while googling for info on gear... awesome resource!!  Thanks!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #154 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:49 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

I don't think it matters much if you use panniers or bikepacking bags. If you're out in wilds with your bike and are camping, I think its bikepacking. It just might not be optimal for single track riding, cause the panniers are wider and can catch on rocks, branches and things easier than the streamlined bags. Just have fun and enjoy nature, thats the name of the game IMO.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #155 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:54 PM
mzungueriki

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »

I am Erik.  lived in Tanzania for last 30 some years.  I like to bikepack especially off road.  Cant get out as much as i like right now.  Mzungu means white man in swahili.  i blog on mzungueriki.blogspot.com  when i remember an have time.

thinking of changing to internal geared hub as i get into rough and brushy trails and have had issues with derailleurs.  not convinced about single gear. 

Hope to learn here.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #156 on: October 02, 2010, 04:32:42 PM
campy3

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

Chris Campen

Started riding when I was 16, but didn't get really into it until I moved to Arizona from Illinois.  I have spent the last couple of years in pharmacy school/residency etc. but am finally able to get into long distance riding.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #157 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:52 AM
vadim_123

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:52 AM »

Hi!

I'm Vadim from Israel.

Strarted bikepacking 4 years ago, but only the last year get into light bikepacking.
Israel is too small for autonomous traveling, so long trips mostly done in Europe ( Alps, Norway , Italy).

From the latest trip on Golan Heights route ( I'm in the what was yellow jersey) :

Home made - saddle bag, handle bar bag, power bars bag ( thanks to the forum).
Alcohol bottle on the fork.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #158 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:57 PM
out_there

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

Hi, I'm Steve, from Tucson, and I've been getting into bikepacking over the last few months.  Did my first multi-day ride last week, the Apache 200, though I didn't quite finish (bailed at the Panorama TH). Good learning experience- next time I'll plan on 4 days so as to have more time to chill and enjoy the scenery.  Not really into setting any records as much as getting out there and riding some beautiful country.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #159 on: October 05, 2010, 12:03:43 AM
DelNorte

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2010, 12:03:43 AM »

Hey all,

I've been biking for as long as I can remember, and raced for about 12 years before I took a hiatus from the sport for the last few years.  In the past I have always been more into dirt jumping, trials, and dh then anything else, but lately I have been feeling the need for an adventure. 

My employer doesn't have any contracts coming in from Nov 1 through next April as of right now, so I was thinking about buying a bikepacking kit and going on an adventure.  My last bikepacking trip was about 13 years ago when I was 14, so I don't really have any idea what I'm getting myself into.  But I have a habit of getting an idea in my head, and sticking with it no matter how misconceived it is. 

I'm buying a new bike tomorrow and right now I'm planning on going on my bikepacking trip around November/ December.  Arizona is currently at the top of my list, but I'm open to ideas and suggestions. 
  Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: