Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #340 on: November 14, 2014, 11:21:54 AM
davesupra

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »

Dave here from North Dakota.

I am a noob to bikepacking, I just discovered this site and planning to read and learn.  I regularly mountain bike, and just got a fat bike and am planning to have some fun in the snow.  icon_biggrin

* 907packsm.jpg (157.5 KB, 742x556 - viewed 831 times.)

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #341 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:47 PM
Kiwi Pete

aka: Kiwi Pete's Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »

Hi All
I'm Pete from Taupo, New Zealand
Work as a Service Manger in a LBS and cycled in a load of places around the world

My 1st Bikepacking set up in Egypt over looking the Red Sea (2012)

And how my Awol set up for the up coming Kiwi Brevet  icon_biggrin

Kiwi Pete...  glasses2

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:15:33 PM by NZPeterG » Logged

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #342 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:54 AM
Happybiker

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:54 AM »

Hello everyone, another rider from the UK here, I've done lots of 12/24hr and XC racing as well as stage racing (Joburg2C in South Africa, where I'm originally from). Looking at getting into this and do some local events and return to the US and do the TD or CTR. I actually rode most of the GDMBR in 1998 on a Cannondale tandem when I was 18, but feel like I have some unfinished business! Expect lots of questions.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #343 on: January 10, 2015, 03:28:38 PM
shanecycles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

Hi folks,

I've cycled a little here and there, usually on longer trips so usually travel quite heavy. I've seen and done most of the things I want to " touring" so now its time for some shorter trips closer to home that are more challenging.

Time to see what this mountain biking and bike packing non-sense is about.

Great to see that this is an active forum and lots of great tips and info knocking around.  Thanks for your time and interest.

I won't barge in with a blog plug, There's plenty of chance for that after my first " bike packing"  trip next month   glasses2

Tail winds and blue skies

Shane

Sometimes I blog too ... http://www.shanecycles.com

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #344 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:03 AM
HanBanan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »

Hi All!

Hannah's my name, recently moved to the fine tundra of Minnesota for the year after some time in Maine.

I'm new to the bikepacking world but have many adventures planned for 2015. Looking forward to learning from all the experience represented on the site! 

therockyspine.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #345 on: January 16, 2015, 12:26:04 AM
CapitalNathan

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »

Hello!

My name is Nathan, I'm a native of Washington state and I currently live in Leavenworth, Washington in the North Central Cascades. I've loved bike rides all my life along with climbing, camping and backcountry skiing. After a recent theft of my mountain bike I started hunting for a replacement. I came to realize that a full suspension replacement might not be in the cards for me budget wise. Luckily at the same time I started seeing photos and videos posted by Joey Schusler, most involved some crazy single track, dirt jumping and enduro riding but a couple showed mountain bikes loaded up for overnight travel. I started doing a little reading and just like that, I fell down the rabbit hole of bike packing.

Beginning with a planned ride of the Oregon Outback this spring, I'm overjoyed to begin a new hobby of overnight backcountry bike trips. Already I'm thankful for the wealth of online resources such as this forum, they were an invaluable resource in helping me figure out how to take the plunge into this new hobby. Hopefully I can contribute to that knowledge, continue to develope my own understanding of the sport and find some folks to ride with!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #346 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
Beatty

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »

Hey everyone, I'm Anthony and I haven't rode my bike consistently in over a year.

Lame, I know.......

I came from Boston and used to be attached to my bike in all those horrible conditions of rain, sleet and snow (all at once because it's Boston). After moving to sunny San Diego, I am a big weenie and never get on my bike. I've used to do a lot of solo exploring rides from Boston to NY and Boston to Nova Scotia and back. I am not a racer but I do like to go fast and push myself. I decided to give my hand at the TD this year and lit an inferno under my ass. Now, I am terrified and excited. I do a lot of ultralight backpacking and have done a lot of other chaotic adventures (VW bug from London to Cameroon, Africa and rode a Tuk-Tuk from Phuket to Jakarta).

With everyones advice, I hope to complete the TD successfully and in one piece.

-Beatty

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #347 on: January 27, 2015, 01:09:33 PM
derailljammedinspokes

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »

Hey am Clint in Connecticut, have done a couple overnighters, am looking for others, as well as singletrack route in New England for multi-day trips, hit me up at 860 992-2441

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #348 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:40 AM
clem_shovel

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:40 AM »

Hello, i'm Clément from France, in the North close to the roubaix cobbles.
This year i race the transcontinental race. I bikepack in europe on road and offroad. I have a on-one inbred 29er for offroad and a surly crosscheck for the pavement.
See you on board or on road.
sorry for my bad english :p

cheers clem

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #349 on: February 16, 2015, 03:41:35 PM
Pynchonite

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »

Howdily-doodily!

I'm Bobby, and I'm a grad student and bike mechanic/salesperson in SLC, UT.  I race CX, a little XC, and I spend about as much time riding as doing absolutely anything else.  I've never been bikepacking, but I'm planning to start this March with some dirt road touring on the Pony Express trail here in Utah.  I've been racing, commuting, trail riding, and, soon, touring on my trusty Ogre, the Mean-O-GREeno.  I'll post a pic once I've got one.  Thanks, and have a Scientastic day!

-Bobby

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #350 on: March 01, 2015, 07:14:23 AM
Rehab

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 01, 2015, 07:14:23 AM »

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and bike packing but an experienced backpacker 30+ years ago.  I am planning a trip for May 2015 on the Katy trail in Missouri.  I know this is pretty tame compared to most of the posts I have read on this forum so far but this will be my shakedown trip.  I have pulled some of my old equipment out of moth balls and purchased some new things to set up my Trek X-caliber.  I am a fairly experienced roadie but pretty new to mountain biking and bike packing.  Just another old guy (57) looking for some new adventure.

I will enjoy reading each of your posts about experiences and equipment recommendations.

Rehab

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #351 on: March 03, 2015, 07:07:59 PM
vmabuck

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 03, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »

New recent transplant to OK from NM.

Me and a friend who moved to the St. Louis area are planning on doing the Katy trail this year. I have a lot of riding experience but zero touring under my belt. So the Katy Trail will be a nice easy intro for sure.

I have a 2013 Specialized Carve pro to work with.

I have a metric ton of bags and ultralight weight backpacking gear from my time in NM. I do not think I will have an issue coming up with pack solutions for the bike. I already Hillbilly engineered a seat bag from an old Camelback bag that works like a champ holding my sleeping bag and BA tent.

My big issue for now is finding a solution to get a set of small bags on the lower tube of my forks. I have two little bags that I can cannibalize from my Jansport pack that would be perfect for that position.

But this is all fun for now. Finding a lot of good info on these boards so far...

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #352 on: April 01, 2015, 02:02:46 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: April 01, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »

Hello Guys and Gals.

I've been soaking up a ton of beta on this forum for a while now and figured I should finally formally say hi.  I'm sure I will have questions and will hopefully contribute as  well. I'm in the front range of Colorado. I have been riding forever and have plenty of outdoor experience, but now its time to but the two together.  Big plan for this year is is to tick off a big bucket list item, the Colorado Trail.  Still have plenty of training to do and still acquiring bike specific gear but that's half the fun.  Anyway, looking forward to lots of great trips and being a part of this forum... Brian

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #353 on: April 08, 2015, 09:15:58 PM
beckerbullfrog

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 08, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »

Hi forum,
I am wondering if it is possible to bike pack the entire Tahoe Rim Trail. I hear parts of the trail are closed on certain days. Also could I carry anything I need in a backpack? Where could I camp/sleep? Thanks!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #354 on: May 08, 2015, 08:15:21 PM
RunRig

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »

Hello all,

Doug here, I've been lurking here for a while, and have finally signed up... I've got a 20 year old Novara Ponderosa (no suspension) that still works, and have never been backpacking, so decided to get into bikepacking a couple of years ago. I know many of you just strap the gear to the bike, but the first thing I did was go out and get myself front and rear Old Man Mountain Pioneer racks (and rear ones for my son) for Christmas a couple of years ago. For the rest I made do with what I had, I had camping gear but not really any lightweight backpacking gear. Hooked up the commuter pannier I got on clearance from REI, strapped the 5 pound sleeping bag to the front rack and the 8 pound tent to the back and set out to Crystal Cove State Park in So. Cal. which is a good place for overnighters for beginner bikepackers and close to home for me.

I've since gotten lighter sleeping bags, a lighter tent, and some Ortlieb panniers (also on clearance from REI).

My son and I also made did a three night, one way Avalon to Two Harbors ride on Catalina Island. I might post details later in some other place around here. I used to ride (one day rides) at Henry Coe State Park many years ago, and am looking forward to going back for a multi-day adventure sometime...maybe next spring when it cools off. I've already got the Katadyn water filter ready (did not need it for Crystal Cove or Catalina).

Cheers...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:22:01 PM by RunRig » Logged

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #355 on: May 11, 2015, 06:38:20 AM
Mikebike

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 11, 2015, 06:38:20 AM »

Hi all,
Mike here who is new to the sport of mtn biking and bike packing.  Moved from Missouri to Steamboat Springs (Bike Town USA) two years ago.  One of the first things I did was go to Craigs list and purchase a mtn bike.  I originally came to Colorado participating in Ironman triathlons as my main activity.  I have incorporated mtn biking as a soarce of cross training, relaxation and enjoyment. 

I currently now have three off road bikes in the stable which get regular use weather permitting.  I have been lurking the site on a regular basis now and decided I needed to introduce myself.  I am preparing to leave on the GD June 12 for TD.  Thank you to all those who share information and experiences. 

Cheers!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #356 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:53 PM
sXeXBMXer

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »

Hey all,
   Noob to the forum/site here, but have been MTbing for 20 years off and on. Grew up a BMX'r in the 70's and 80's, then got into MTBing in college. Also grew up cross-country ski-packing as well as camping and hiking. Found out about this side of biking a couple of years ago and fell in love...the combination of 2 of my most favorite activities.

i live in Ohio, and am interested in finding places to bike-pack here in the midwest/Great Lakes region, as well as in NE. It seems to me that there are not too many opportunities (surprisingly) in the Great Lakes region especially. OR, I am just not looking in the right places. I would imagine there are tons of great places to ride in Michigan, the UP of Michigan, Wisconson, etc. If people can steer me that way I would love it!

My most favorite time to ride/camp is in fall and winter, but will ride all year round! I am waiting on my Surly ECR...first bike in 20+ years. Can't wait to put it together and hit it this summer. I have not been on a long trip of any kind since I hiked part of the AT 15 years ago in the Smokey Mts. Looking to update my gear - and body - this summer to start doing some longer excursions in the coming years.

hope to learn a lot from this site!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:33:57 PM by sXeXBMXer » Logged

Iv'e Got sXe!!!
2015 Surly Krampus
1994 Trek Mountain Track 830
1988 Mongoose Californian Pro
1981 Mongoose Supergoose

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #357 on: May 17, 2015, 08:17:03 PM
Their Only Portrait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »

Hola!

My name is Federico, I'm a photographer based in Buenos Aires soon to be cycling South America to make & print family portraits for those who've NONE!

You can read more about my first warm up trip (bikepacking Northern Argentina) at this post:
http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/bikepacking-northern-argentina-with-an-old-dirt-jumper/

You can find more info & photos about my Project here:
www.theironlyportrait.com

Saludos,
Federico Cabrera

* DSCF4069.jpg (993.24 KB, 1276x850 - viewed 494 times.)

Photographer cycling "in developing countries" making & printing portraits for those families who had NONE!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #358 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:12 PM
singlespeedster

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »

Brent from Valley Village, Ca. Mountain biking since 86. I work as a Service Manager in a bike shop. Done a few endurance events including Leadville. Did the Mojave road last year. Looking forward to some packing trips and a few races next year. My goal is the tour divide in a few years. All single speed all the time. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey.

Keep mountain biking weird

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #359 on: May 24, 2015, 03:53:48 PM
Broke That

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 24, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »

Rick R.

Desert dweller in San Diego CA.
I ride bikes. Road, XC, Enduro, endurance etc.
Recently I bought a cheap 29+ (Motobecane) just to see if I had any
real interest in riding them. The short answer is I love it! Living in the sand
the plus tires made a huge difference, and with my love for the desert it only
became natural to be drawn to camping.
Honestly I started as an endurance groupie. The Stagecoach 400 runs through my town and
I knew a couple of the participants and got to know a few more. I kept telling myself I'd get
around to buying some gear and try some overnight work. Just yesterday I finally went up
to Hub Cyclery in Idyllwild and pick up some bags. Tomorrow I head to REI and get a bag.
Soon.....I will get out for an overnighter!

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/Jump_bucket/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/IMG_20150519_100126884_zpsowkj7kaw.jpg.html?o=10
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/Jump_bucket/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/IMG_20150519_100126884_zpsowkj7kaw.jpg.html?o=10
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:01:06 PM by Broke That » Logged

I once was fast, now I'm long.
  Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: