Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #280 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:52 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »

Hey everyone!
I finally got my setup complete. I'm running a Topeak Tour handlebar bag, cheapo frame and top tube bags from Amazon, Revelate Pika seatbag, and Dakine Nomad pack on a Giant Talon 29er. First adventure is in a week!! icon_biggrin
I'm glad you posted this. we had discussed the merits of the Pika vs. the Viscacha on the Talon, and I think it may send me for the Pika to avoid clearance issues. Nice set-up, what year and model Talon is that?

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #281 on: April 19, 2013, 05:24:53 PM
Jason Elsworth

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »

My one and only bike tour was nearly 30 years ago, when as a 16 year old I tackled the mighty alpine terrain of Holland and Belgium. I was a keen mtb rider from my early to late twenties, but then didn't do any serious cycling for about 17 years. Finding out about bike packing and wanting to do some family cycle rides has led me back to cycling this year. I have been backpacking for over 30 years and ul backpacking for the last 10, so have that side of bikepacking sorted. I am riding a Surly Ogre and so far have a revelate harness and viscacha. Have been doing some day rides and will do my first over nighter in May.

I live in New Zealand.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:15:51 PM by Jason Elsworth » Logged

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #282 on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:26 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:26 AM »

Jason,
Are you (or were you) living in Holland or Belgium?  Or did you travel there to tour? 

I would be interested in touring those countries at some point, particularly Holland with their network of bike paths.  I realize your tour was quite a few years ago, but how were your experiences with bike travel in those countries?

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #283 on: April 20, 2013, 07:15:18 PM
Jason Elsworth

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »

I travelled from England. It was along time, but I do remember it as being very straight forward and a great place for cyclists. We were just kids and we didn't have many problems. By far the scariest bit was cycling in London to get a train to the ferry. I can still remember Hyde Park corner. It' still rated as one of the top 10 places for cyclist to avoid in London!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #284 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41:51 PM
Vonpotter

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »

Hey everybody. The name's vonpotter. I'm a fabricator by week and work in a bike shop by weekend. I've got 30 or so bikes kicking around. A few cruisers, a couple MTBs a hybrid/CX thing that I'm working on (my everything bike. Will be my bikepacker too), and a few freakbikes in the stable too. I'm  a huge fan of anything MYOG. I have built my own trailer, lowrider racks, front cargo rack. sleeping bag bracket, light mounts, phone holster, cupholders, anything cage knockoffs, bottle cage relocators, stem mounted bottle cages, and a few other things here and there. I've also made a few gear items like penny stoves and firestarters. I'll get some pics up in the next few days. I'm leaving for my first bikepacking trip this saturday. So I've got a lot of prep to get done this week

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #285 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:47 PM
yz129

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »

hi all,i`m mike from az. not new to mtb but a newb to  bikepacking. grew up racing bmx in the seventies then onto mx until 5 yrs ago,though I still ride s/t on a Honda crf 450x. and love all day point to point rides. my current mtb is a spearfish 2.
what a great site scott,loaded w/tons of info.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #286 on: April 28, 2013, 05:24:55 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »

Hey everybody!  David Phillips from Gilbert, AZ.  I've been riding bikes since I was a kid in Regina, SK (Canada).  I had a ton of freedom growing up, and rode my Peugeot roadie all over town.  Owned a Specialized Sworks Crossroads in college, commuted everywhere.  I still regret giving that bike away.  After college, I kinda let biking go...

I bought a used roadie a few years back, but didn't get serious about the bike until last year when I bought my first NEW bike since college - a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT.  Am now in full Weekend Warrior mode, having an absolute ball exploring the endless trail opportunities in and around Phoenix.  I love the idea of "backpacking with a bike", hoping to make my foray into endurance racing and bikepacking later this year.

Thanks Scott Morris for this site, as well as trackleaders.com - I've had a ball watching the dots for the AZT and the Stagecoach this year, looking forward to TD and CTR later this summer.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #287 on: May 07, 2013, 05:12:07 PM
Terrigriff

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 07, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of months, and decided I'd actually join.  My name is Terri and I live part of the time in Dallas and part of the time in Arkansas.  I'm completely new to this bikepacking thing, but I've had lots of years of long triathlon, trail running, adventure racing, mountaineering, etc, so not new to the fun of suffering in beautiful places. Been on the road/tri bike for a long time, but just really started mountain biking within the last couple of years and LOVE riding my bike places where cars are few and far between. 

I already have a pretty good stash of ultralight equipment from past adventures, and am working on getting all the rest of the stuff I need put together, including a new titanium frame that is being built by Seven Cycles.  Can't wait to get out there and put it to good use!

I'd love to hear from some other females that have done solo bike packing trips, as that's what my plans are.  I'm not young, not fast, but pretty good at going far.  I've got a couple of shorter trips planned for this summer, but am kicking around the idea of a mega trip next summer. (lucky to have a very supportive and patient husband!) Lots of great info on this site--thanks!!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #288 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:35 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »

I'm Bill, a long time watcher, minor contributor.  Have been a member for a year or so, just never introduced myself.  I'll be starting TD as an ITT on June 7.  Will be doing the LOI, entering myself in the roster spreadsheet, etc soon.

Am going on a 29" Surley Ogre, with a full set of Revelate bags.  Should be interesting.  I've done quite a bit of ultra distance road, but bikepacking has some new twists.  Suspect I'll be doing a lot of learning along the way.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #289 on: May 29, 2013, 10:45:15 AM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »

Hello. I am a long time cyclist, mountain biker, bicycle tourist, who LOVES the innovation I am seeing from the bikepacking segment. I spend most of my time on paved and or fireroads so I don't quite fit into the mix here, but I can't resist participating as I have a can learn a lot about new equipment as I fine tune my set up for a long tour that will begin 1 year from right now.

As far as touring goes I have gone cross country 3 times and had several smaller east coast tours.

I am quite impressed with the community here. The DIY projects are really well thought out and professionally done.

Again I'm just psyched to stumble upon this community and will do my best to contribute.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #290 on: May 30, 2013, 10:02:38 PM
baquah

Programmer, Cyclist, Voider of Warranties

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »

Howdy, folks.

I'm Sean, and I grew up in central Texas. Y'all might know a few of my ATX compatriots around here: sherpaxc, fuzzjumper, fatbob, etc.
I did the BSA thing as a youth and hit Philmont - this had a lasting effect on me, and I swore one day I'd live some place with elevation, canyons, and pinion pines. Turns out, I moved to Denver 6 months ago.

Snow is disgusting. Snow is excellent.

So, given that I've got some bikepacking kit that I've only used on S24O trips in ATX, I suppose I should do a little pass hunting on the MTB here in CO. Denver -> Winter Park via Rollins Pass is near the top of my list.

Cheers,
Sean.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #291 on: June 03, 2013, 04:03:48 PM
Jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

Hello, Im Jonathan Greene. I run a small bicycle frame shop out of my barn in Central FL. I'm planning some solo trips and races to get my frames dialed in for this kind of competition. I have tons of gear questions too. Thanks, JG.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #292 on: June 14, 2013, 07:15:32 AM
sdloveless

Circling the drain since 1975

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »

Hi.  I'm Scott Loveless and I live in south central Pennsylvania.  Over the last few years I've been doing the S24O thing quite a bit, with a few 3 day trips thrown in.  Mostly paved road riding.  A little bit on state forest gravel.  My intentions are to try out bikepacking this summer, starting next week with a trip through Michaux.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #293 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:57 AM
tws21975

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »

Hello,

I'm Tom. Currently living in Brunswick, Maine while my wife is finishing grad-school. After she graduates and we find a (semi?)permanent place to live, I'll have some time explore our new home. I'll also be embarking on a career change that will allow for nice long bike trips on a somewhat frequent basis.

Hope you all won't mind my newb questions at fisrt; I promise to positively contribute as I learn.

-Tom

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #294 on: June 23, 2013, 02:06:40 PM
12bar

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »

Hi I'm Jim from west central Florida, I am really into self supported touring and lately have been getting interested in bikepacking and a little easy off road touring.  I know I will learn a ton here and hope to contribute when I can.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #295 on: June 25, 2013, 06:53:12 AM
Jeffhop

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am Jeff from Colorado. After a long time lurking on this site, I've decided to finally introduce myself and join the conversation.

I will be tackling the Colorado Trail from Denver -> Durango at the end of the summer, and look forward to learning from this site along the way!

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #296 on: July 08, 2013, 05:18:35 AM
jbarnhar

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »

Greetings,

My wife and I decided to take a bikepacking trip on some dirt roads from Colorado to Moab next summer. This is a great site to get tips and info from. Thanks everyone!

John in Colorado

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #297 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:07 AM
Rapidray

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

New to bikepacking. Not even a bike right now. My wife and I will be getting some new wheels very shortly! She is looking at the Fargo. I was thinking something else untill I started reading this forum! Now, the Pug bug has hit me. Never even heard of a fat bike untill I visited here. Took a Pug for a little spin this past weekend at the only stocking dealer store in all of Georgia. So I am watching a lot of YouTube! Thanks.
Raymond

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2Timothy 1:7

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #298 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:04 PM
ArkTrekRider

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »

Hey Everyone,
  From Arkansas, just really getting into bikepacking. Looking forward to going on my first trip soon. I am a career firefighter/emt but also own a powder coating business. Just stopping in to look and learn, make new friends.

Topic Name: Introduction Thread Reply #299 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:11 AM
kbabin

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »

ArkTrekRider,

Powder coating bikes???  Where are you planning your 1st trip?

Kev
  Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: