Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Introducing myself? (Oops, didnt post in the intro thread, please feel free to move it there) on: July 16, 2023, 12:09:21 PM
Wayne77

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »

**not sure why all my single quote marks got replaced with question marks. I?m using Tapatalk?maybe it?s that & should use the regular web forum.

I joined awhile back but haven?t posted much and hoping to benefit from the wealth of knowledge here as well as add value if I can. So an introduction is in order.

My name is Wayne, live in N. Utah and have been bikepacking for about 3 years. I can?t say I?m super experienced yet but I have a passion for the sport. Cycling background started with road racing from 2013 - 2020, then got into gravel racing, then got into more adventurous forms of gravel where I quickly discovered I love to be off-grid, explore and push myself into areas requiring self-sufficiency, taking on a little risk, and learning how to get myself out of sketchy situations (that I usually have myself to blame for); and especially the community! I?m an admin for the Utah Gravel Grinders Facebook group, also a wonderful community. Not really into road racing anymore?though I do ride my road bike still. The culture is just a little too intense for me. LOVE the culture of the adventure cycling / bikepacking community.

Once I discovered bikepacking, my love of cycling has increased even more because of it. I?ve done 6 solo 3-4 day rides, and ?attempted? 2 bikepacking races. The Pioneer 400 in Idaho I made it 230 miles before scratching, then last year the Utah Mixed Epic I made it 540 miles before scratching because of some significant flash flood risk in the canyons I was navigating as I was nearing Green River. But in hindsight I should have found some high ground and waited out the storms. This year I am training for the 900 mile Big Sky Spectaculaire in Montana, Aug 21. Next year, my dream is to do the Bright Midnight in Norway. We?ll see. Biggest barrier to success I think is 1) mental game 2) nutrition.

Anyway, I?ll have lots of questions, including one relating to eating right away. Thanks again for having me. Here?s a few photos. 2 bikes I use, depending on the terrain. 1) Norco gravel bike w/ 650B / 2.1? Vitoria Mezcal & Sram Force 1X soon to be converted to 12 speed using the Ratio conversion kit. 2) Why Cycles Wayward 29+ w/ Eagle GX, current running Vitoria Mezcal 2.6?, Old Man Mountain rack. For the Big Sky event I?ll probably run 700c wheels with 42mm tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Introducing myself? (Oops, didnt post in the intro thread, please feel free to move it there) Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 05:43:35 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »

Hi and welcome, Wayne. The quote thing is what it is. It?s pretty quiet here but good signal-to-noise ratio. Enjoy the discoveries!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: