Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How is it in Colorado right now? on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:37 AM
Jbennett

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »

I'm considering heading up and riding part of the Divide as a last training effort before the TD.  I've been watching places like Salida and I've been seeing that they've been getting snow, but that this coming week is supposed to be warm.  Does anyone have any insight?  Would I be better off just staying down here in Texas and doing a tour?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I'm not familiar with how the Rockies are at elevation this time of year, especially this year.

Topic Name: How is it in Colorado right now? Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:56 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »

Better to ask on the 2016 Tour Divide Preparation forum, under ultr endurance racing. Lots of CO people hang out there.

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: How is it in Colorado right now? Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:54:02 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:54:02 PM »

Most if not all the passes are going to be under a few feet of snow.

Topic Name: How is it in Colorado right now? Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:54 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:54 PM »

Another snowstorm is on tap for this weekend. That's 5 our of the last 6 weekends we've had storms. If the route isn't covered in snow, it's going to be very, very wet. The only areas that may luck out in being dry enough are perhaps South Park proper (don't even think of Boreas Pass, or even the pass into Salida), and perhaps Del Norte and a few miles N of it. I've been stuck in a snowstorm in South Park on the route, and it's kinda miserable. The soil near the Indian Hills is very muddy w/clay.

None of this should effect the Grand Départ in June, except for perhaps a bit of snow/wetness up at the highest points of the passes.

If you're looking for a shakedown ride and want to go to CO (or need a backup), perhaps something like the Anti Epic route (which you can find here http://coloradogravelroads.com/). If South Park is clear enough, another option would be the Dirty Double Fondo, ~half of which is the GDMBR, the rest is a really great route (much better in my opinion). You could do it in one long day,

https://coloradoes.wordpress.com/swes-event-list/ddf200k/

The race itself is on May 21st! I've done it twice, great time and Salida is a hell of a town. Maybe I can make it back this year Wink 

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: