Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Gonna try it! on: March 24, 2010, 07:14:23 AM
dgaddis1

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:14:23 AM »

Hello everyone.  Just introducing myself.  Been lurking around here for a while, read many of the ride reports.  All good stuff!

I live in the southeast - Augusta, GA actually.  We don't have mtns here, but we do have trails.  Lots of them, over 160 miles of singletrack, most of it can be connected easily via paved and gravel roads.  We will soon have two different metric century routes, one of which has 55 miles of singletrack, plus we have the 37 miles of singletrack at FATS (the only IMBA Epic in South Carolina).  We're hosting the 2010 IMBA World Summit - so if you come, you'll probably see me around.

I've been wanting to try some bikepacking for a while, but haven't wanted to spend the money on some light weight gear.  A few months ago my cousin invited me to go with him on a week long AT hike this summer, so I figured this was a good excuse to start piecing together some gear.

Going for my first bikepacking "trip" this weekend.  Due to scheduling conflicts (lots of work, buying a house, and parents coming to visit) it's going to be a quick short ride, only 10 miles total.  A few miles Sat. night, camp, and a few miles back to the car Sun. morning.

I'm using this mostly as a way to test my gear...and a quick vacation for some quiet time after a stressful week.

I'm riding a rigid Jabberwocky, strapping the sleeping bag to the bars, using a Jandd frame bag, and a HAWG camelbak.  Sleeping in a Hennessey Hammock - first time trying this thing out.  I'm looking forward to it!   headbang

Topic Name: Gonna try it! Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:12 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »

Right on -- welcome!  Let us know how it goes and post some pics.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Gonna try it! Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:54 PM
donmeredith74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »

Sweet! I'm just up the road in Columbia. I'm riding rigid singlespeed. We should hook up at FATS. I'd be glad to discuss gear if you're interested. I do a good bit of UL backpacking here in the SE and plan on swapping the tech over to bikepacking as soon as my frame bag comes in. I hope to have my bag in time to do an trip during the long weekend coming up.

Don Meredith
Greenville, SC
http://lightpack.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Gonna try it! Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:51:21 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »

Have fun! That's called a sub-24hr-overnight, or S24O.  :thumbsup:If you you can ride close to work you can even do those rides on a weekday.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: