Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? on: February 26, 2021, 08:51:07 AM
damo

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

Hey all,

A questions for you, how do flat pedals compare to SPD for bearing life and reliability?

I normally use Shimano SPD's and we all know how long lived and reliable these are but I've been considering using flats for a tour but looking about on the web I see a fair few examples of the bearing failing and the platform snapping off the axel shaft, this I have never seen on SPD's so it got me thinking is it worth trying something new when my existing product is so very well proven.

What is your experiences and any recommendations?

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:11:46 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »

It depends on the flat pedal. Thinner is better for ride performance and worse for longevity. Some thin flats use a bearing/bushing combination or just bushings; many rely on less burly hardware than a thicker flat.

A pedal with big bearings inside and out is what I think of as a good choice for all but the most technical bikepacking. Something like a DMR Mag V12 -- indestructible, economical, and a good size and shape for average-size feet. I do not hesitate to use a thin pedal in good shape if the route has a lot of technical riding. It does make a difference. If bearing life and longevity are the primary criteria, IME the bigger bearings will easily outlast any super-thin pedal setup.

As far as bearing replacement/service: I've never replaced or even opened up my Mag V12's and they have spun nicely for thousands of miles through all weather, tandem loads, yada. Thin flats with bushings, ridden regularly, can last years before they get rattly. Again, the small parts holding some of them together would seem a little dicey for a trans-state affair but I'd use them on something short without reservation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:27:56 PM by offroute » Logged

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:22:30 AM
damo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:22:30 AM »

Great info in the replay, thanks  thumbsup

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 05:19:50 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 05:19:50 AM »

On my bikepacking bikes, I always use flats. I also wear Adidas AX2 Goretex mid height boots that I picked up a few years back.
For pedals, I have had great luck with WellGo MG-5 flats. They are relatively inexpensive, light and have put up with all kinds of abuse.

My reasoning for using flats is that after a 100 mile day when your mind is fogging a bit, if you start to go down, unclipping can be difficult.

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:23:12 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »

I use flats for all my riding these days.  Durability is my biggest complaint.  The bearings just don't last very long, and as mentioned the thinner the pedal the worse they seem to be.  Maybe 6-12 months before the bearings get poopy.

I have had the same set of Shimano 747 and 636 spd pedals since the early 2000s and bearings and mechanisms are still fine on those.  Haven't seen much use in recent years of course.  The main issue I hear of with SPD use and clipless in general is losing a bolt or having issues with the cleat loosening or coming off completely.  SPD shoes are often not as good for hike a bike also.

I've seen both types of pedals fail where the pedal body breaks off the axle.  Not enough to sway me one way or the other.  It's pretty rare not something you can predict.

Personally I'll continue to use flats especially for bikepacking.  I use trailrunning shoes with them which are light, comfortable and great for hike a bike.  The issues I have with durability of flat pedals aren't something that arise over the course of a single trip.  If it's in good shape when I leave it'll probably be in good shape when I'm done.  I'd be more concerned with having issues with an SPD cleat than any issue which could come up with a flat pedal.

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:04:25 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »

Shimano Saint flats work for me.

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:08:40 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:08:40 PM »

I've been using flats exclusively for trail riding and bikepacking for more than a decade here in Coastal BC. We get lots of wet weather in the winter and lots of dust in the summer. I tend to run the thinner versions of flat pedals as they work better for me. I haven't had any sudden failures or durability issues. When the bearings/bushings wear out it's a slow process that provides warnings if you pay attention to your bike at all.

I was clipped in to my bikes for a long time prior to trying flats and I have no desire to go back to that setup regardless if the maintenance cycles are longer.

Topic Name: Flats vs SPD, regarding reliability? Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 01:41:59 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »

Honestly I don't get it. Flat pedals only seem to last a few hundred to maybe a thousand miles for me. But I put a set of SPDs on my bike 10,000 miles ago and haven't touched them since. You'd think with all that extra space they'd be able to do a better job with flat pedals, but they never seem to hold up. I've given up on buying nice flats and instead buy cheap deity composite pedals since they seem to last just as long, if not longer than the "designer" pedals I used to buy.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: