Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter on: December 12, 2008, 02:44:12 PM
Eric

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »

High pressure, clear skies, fresh snow and a full moon, time to go.
Packed up really hastily and was out the door at about 7:30 pm last night. I just wanted to get out of town and didn't care where I ended up.
within 30 seconds of leaving my house I was on the bike trail, I passed 2 people and that was it. Pretty amazing you can ride out of a "downtown" area and get into the hills with only passing two other people. I like Anchorage.

Temps were in the single digits, but keeping warm was no problem grinding away with the freshly packed snow.

The moon was so bright at times it was almost startling. I never used my headlamp once...

Up the tour trail, to Rovers Run, a nice snowy singletrack.

Over to Hillside and an hour + long push up the new trails to get to Prospect heights.
It was getting late at this point, close to midnight. So I found a good spot to trample down and got the stove going. I should have brought a book, that moon.. oh that moon...

Middle of the night cookie dough feeding kept me nice and warm until 10:00 this morning temp upon waking was 2 degrees.
Just enough time for a well balanced breakfast - one part chocolate covered espresso beans / one part butter, peanut butter, oats chocolate chips...

You can't really see it but check out the luxury - 2 pads, my 15 year old 2+lb nice and thick thermarest and a 10mm evazote foam pad. No need to rough it on an emergency overnighter!

Got rolling for the mostly down hill 2 hr ride back home...

Great to get out!

Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:19 PM
tackhammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

You are an impressive individual.

Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:37 PM
neve_r_est

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »

Impressive individual in an inspired location.

I managed 66miles of moonlit snowy gravel grinding sans headlight before my Garmin battery gave out tonight. Guess I'll have to finish the hundy up tomorrow morning. Full moon riding is the shizzle. And my camera takes crappy night shots. What are you using, Sony nightshot?

Hmm, chocolate covered expresso beans...

DG

Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:08:44 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »

aw gee schucks...

D- its a canon S80 using 1 -2 seconds manual exposure trying to hold it really still. A tripod would have given awesome results.

Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:11 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »

Nicely done.  Thanks for the hit, Eric.  Guess all the barr's are sleeping, not wandering around Rovers Run.   thumbsup

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Emergency Full Moon overnighter Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:08:45 PM
Lee Blackwell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »

Hi Eric,

That is a great story and pictures. I chuckle on the emergency part. We all could declare an emergency more often.   sign13

Lee
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: