Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Creating a new resource. Need some help. on: December 21, 2015, 05:01:49 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:01:49 AM »

Here in the Appalachians, we have a lot of areas to ride. Forrest Service roads, single track, other gravel, etc... I don't mind getting out on single track, but I love the thought of hopping on my cross country bike and putting in a couple of hundred miles over a weekend. So, what I've been looking for is a resource to tie these areas together in a central resource. In an older post here, others added some great links that help quite a bit -> http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/bikepacking/a-good-resource/

On Holston Mountain here in N.E. Tennessee, I know several roads and trails that run along or on top of the mountain. The same is true for some of the other areas to the N.E and to the S.W.; however, I've not been out on a lot of the roads or trails.

So, now I'm taking it a step further with http://appalachianbiketrails.org (It's a new domain and might take a bit to show up)

The plan is to take some of the USGS maps and highlight known Forest Service roads, double track, single track etc... and try to find enough interconnections to put together some long routes through the Cherokee, Pisgah, Blue Ridge National Forests.

If you ride these areas and know the trails and roads, let me know and hopefully we can create a great resource.

Topic Name: Creating a new resource. Need some help. Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:46 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »

Just an update. I have some routes added that can be viewed from the maps page.
I also have a google map page with direct links to a number of the USFS geospatial enabled PDF maps.

I'm enlisting the help of some local bike shops to see if I can get others that ride in the Appalachian mountains to help with routes and/or GPS coordinates of entry points, places of note, intersections, etc...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: