Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool on: March 17, 2019, 07:33:07 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »

Something to consider adding to one's tool kit...

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/13/review-uniors-tiny-multi-purpose-pocket-lockring-tool-saves-the-day/

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:30 AM
B@se

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:30 AM »

wel...just like http://www.m-gineering.nl/nbt.htm

have one for years now.works great.

Bas

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:19:15 PM
freespirit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »

I carry a mini adjustable wrench, but have recently bought a tool from Halfords which does various jobs (pedals, nuts, and a couple of allen keys). So far so good!

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:41 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »

That one looks great for a regular QR frame, but does not work with a 12mm thru axle wheel.
wel...just like http://www.m-gineering.nl/nbt.htm
have one for years now.works great.
Bas

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:35:42 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »

The JA Stein tool has been in my toolkit for years. I've never needed to use it.

https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-items/mini-cassette-lockring-driver/

However, these days I find a Fiberfix spoke more convenient to carry. No need to remove the cassette at all.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/blog/fiberfix-spoke/

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:49:32 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »

I have used one of these over the years and found it works great.  They didn't used to come with the frame protector.  Also they were impossible to find for sale anywhere for a while.  I am glad to see them available again.  I highly recommend for those who have a cassette that is compatible.

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:22:35 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »

For longer rides/tours I suggest DT Swiss hubs for people.  They're among the lightest hubs going, crazy durable, easy to maintain, and rarely need maintenance.  350's are inexpensive.  240s cost more but weigh less.

I bring this up in this discussion because you can remove the cassette from either of these hubs with zero tools required.  Swap your spoke, then replace cassette, also with zero tools required.

For this very reason I used DT hubs when I created and raced the Kokopelli, Grand Loop, and Divide.  Also on 20 years worth of races and expeditions in/across Alaska, winter and summer.

DT hubs are very hard to beat.

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:14 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:14 AM »

A couple additional comments...

Yeah, I hadn't considered the fact that it won't work for a thru axle bike.  Mine are QR so i am good with it, but if you have a thru axle I assume the Unior is a non starter.

The fiber fix is popular, but in my experience is pretty limited for a number of reasons.  First, I have had more than one spoke (even several) broken at once on a couple of occasions before I realized I had a problem.  Maybe that was an unusual situation, but I had several spare spokes and a unior tool and was able to get going again.  Second, I prefer, especially when on a multi thousand mile trip, to be able to just fix the wheel with real spokes rather than use a fiber fix for a temporary fix.

I do like the idea of hubs that allow easy replacement of all spokes without the need for a lot of messing with removal of cassettes and whatnot.  Tool-less repair, rebuild, or maintenance (or minimal tool like maybe with just an allen wrench) would be also nice, but I have never owned such hubs.

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:17 PM
TonyM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »

For longer rides/tours I suggest DT Swiss hubs for people.  They're among the lightest hubs going, crazy durable, easy to maintain, and rarely need maintenance.  350's are inexpensive.  240s cost more but weigh less.

I bring this up in this discussion because you can remove the cassette from either of these hubs with zero tools required.  Swap your spoke, then replace cassette, also with zero tools required.

For this very reason I used DT hubs when I created and raced the Kokopelli, Grand Loop, and Divide.  Also on 20 years worth of races and expeditions in/across Alaska, winter and summer.

DT hubs are very hard to beat.

how do you remove the cassette without any tools? Could you elaborate on that? Thanks.

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 08:41:34 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »

how do you remove the cassette without any tools? Could you elaborate on that? Thanks.

https://vimeo.com/320831711

Topic Name: Cool Cassette Tool Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:53 PM
TonyM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »

Yepp...that's what I thought...You can remove the cassette/ freebie combo without any tool. Not the cassette itself from the free hub.

And yes the DT Swiss are among the best hubs on the market. Previously Hügi from Switzerland. DT Swiss has also the best spokes on the market.
The ratchet mechanism is also very robust and so easy for maintenance!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: