Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Collegiate Loop in one week? on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:26 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »

Thinking of spending a week in Colorado this fall and giving the Collegiate Loop a go. If I park/get dropped off in Leadville it looks like about 200 miles. Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult this would be to complete in 5-6 days? I'm comfortable riding 10-12 hours a day but I'm from the east coast and have no idea what the trail is like.

Thanks.

Topic Name: Collegiate Loop in one week? Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »

THIS Collegiate Loop?

http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Collegiate-Loop-Map-Book-LOOPBOOK.htm

If so, forget it, it's Wilderness mostly. No bikes.

Topic Name: Collegiate Loop in one week? Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:46 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »

Blarg. I didn't realize that. So much for that idea.

Topic Name: Collegiate Loop in one week? Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:07:54 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »

My experience in CO is pretty limited, just going by recent tracks that I've loaded up for Max Morris. First the Tour Divide track, then more recently CTR. Seems like you could put together a Loop out of Leadville by combining these two.

I have no idea what this double loop would be like to ride. Expecting the TD stuff to be mostly road, and the CTR to be a mix of road and trail. It was just an easy way to make up a quick set of tracks from existing events.

It would be cool to see a Coconino style loop for CO. The CTR like the AZT has a whole set of logistical problems that are easily removed when the course is a loop. Not knowing much about the state I can't come up with what would be the best options. But from what I do know there has to be a lot of potential.

* CTRTDcombo loop.jpg (317.33 KB, 1360x608 - viewed 473 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:14:18 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Collegiate Loop in one week? Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:08:35 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:08:35 AM »

I just spent 2 weeks in CO, sampling the riding in various areas (Salida, Crested Butte, Durango).  I am from PA and live at 1,000 feet and the nearby mountains *soar* to the height of 3,000 ft.  I am over 40 and somewhat fit, but by know means a serious athlete.

Altitude acclimation is the biggest issue.  It various from person to person, but it takes time.  After 2 weeks, I did not feel like I was acclimatized. 

I brought stuff to do overnighters, but decided not to for various reasons.

Besides the altitude challenge, the sun is relentless.... in the east, there is serious shade, in CO, not so much.

In my opinion:
1.  The appeal of CO is the scenery.  A++.  Mountains, wildflowers, old mining ruins, etc
2.  The mountains are huge.  The climbs and descents can be really long (like intimidating long, climbs that can take hours).... The paved roads have shallow grades compared to some of the roads in PA and WV. 
3.  In my experience, the trails are not that technical... in 2 weeks I think I encounter one blowdown over a trail.... to me, it is almost unnatural how smooth some of the trails are...
4.  ATVs and dirt bikes.... a lot of trails and forest roads are open to them... they are pretty popular... they are good at kicking up dust, but the  operators seem to be pretty polite and I didn't have any issues.
5.  Wilderness 'feel' was lacking for me,  I never felt like anyplace was remote... not like in the east, when you are down in some valley, under the canopy with no distinct landmarks and your field of view only extends 50 yards because of the density of the foliage.
6.  It's amazing how much trail has been bench cut by hand.
7.  Cycling is hugely popular in CO compared to where I'm from.
8.  CO does not seem to have the proportion of overweight/obese citizens that rest of the country has.
9.  Tourism is the lifeblood of many towns...CO is definitely over its quota of tourist towns.
10.  The Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in Crested Butte was a disappointment.  A couple of bikes, a handful of parts and a poster board about all the inductees.
11.  In comparison to the mountains, the rivers are tiny... but there are flowing streams up high
12.  The most memorable single track that I road was on the CO trail.
13.  The ratio of miles of fence to head of cattle must be something like 100:1.
14.  I drove out.  The drive West isn't that bad, the return trip seems brutal.

My advice:  Plan some flexibility in your plans and be conservative in what you think you can ride in a day.

Here are some pictures:

Near Salida

Moto Trail

Reno-Flag Trail near Crested Butte

The super hyped '401' near Crested Butte

CO Trail (Durango Area)

CO Trail

CO Trail

CO Trail

Hermosa Trail (Durango Area)

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll