Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: College project help please on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:42 PM
richywales97

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some help. I'm making a sort of solid frame bag and various other storage attachments for my college DT project and I need to make a customer profile. If you could just answer a few questions I'd really appreciate it.

Just to let you know, it will look like most other frame bags but made of plastic or metal, with one large section inside the frame triangle that can be split in half depending on what you want, one small section behind the handlebars on the toptube, a small section under the seat, and possibly a drinks cage under the downtube. It will be measured to fit my Rockrider 6.3 perfectly, but can be split in half so that it should be compatible with most frames somehow. It will be watertight, will attach to the frame with padded metal mounts and velcro straps, and will fit everything that would go in your backpack plus some extra space hopefully.

1) How much roughly would you pay for this if it was a real product?
2) What would be the main points you'd consider when deciding whether or not to buy it?
3) Would you buy it if it met these points?
4) Made from plastic or metal? Plastic is lighter but cracks and is weaker, aluminium is strong and can be bent back into shape when knocked in a fall, but is heavier.
5) Any other advice to make it better?

Thanks in advance

PS - This is British college (age 16), not American college (18+)

Topic Name: College project help please Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:42:46 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

1. If it fit my needs, I'd pay about $150-175.
2. Before buying it, I'd check build quality, capacity, ease-of-use, and weight. Ease-of-use would include such things as whether it's waterproof, how hard it is to gain access, etc.
3. Yep, I might buy one!
4. Aluminum would look pretty cool. Maybe with carbon-fiber walls to keep the weight down?

Good luck with your project!

"Done"

Topic Name: College project help please Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:30:14 PM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »

1- Around 200$ (better not be made in China!!!)
2- Pretty much same as Toby. Should of course fit my bike, waterproof is paramount, quality of materials, build etc... better not break on the trail.
3- Depends, I like the set up I have now. (Revelate small frame bag, saddle bag and handle bar harness)
4- Carbon instead of alu or plastic would be a very nice touch.
5- Can't really give more advice, current products on the market are really good.

Topic Name: College project help please Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:01:04 PM
richywales97

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »

Thanks for the help guys, hadn't thought of carbon-fibre but it's definitely a great option, I'll look into it.

Topic Name: College project help please Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:11 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

Thanks for the help guys, hadn't thought of carbon-fibre but it's definitely a great option, I'll look into it.

You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,6254.msg53910.html#new

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: College project help please Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:54 AM
richywales97

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »

That bag in the link is so cool, gave me some more ideas too, thanks
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: