Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Cockpit setups? on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:53 PM
axelman

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »

Not sure If there is a thread here or not but I haven't been able to track one down specifically. I am unsure as to what bar/aerobar combo I want to run on my el mariachi. So I figured I would start this thread as a place to share and discuss cockpit setups and preferences. If there is already a thread like this feel free to delete. Let the fun begin...

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:26 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »

Krampus Cockpit by mbeganyi, on Flickr

I have some profile aero bars that will work - they slide back far enough and clear the jones loop bar. Just haven't had a need to run them yet. And they will fight with all the other stuff jammed on there.

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:56 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »

Krampus Cockpit by mbeganyi, on Flickr

I have some profile aero bars that will work - they slide back far enough and clear the jones loop bar. Just haven't had a need to run them yet. And they will fight with all the other stuff jammed on there.
BMike: I have just installed Jones Bars like yours and am considering adding back the aero bars I had.  I like to watch my maps as I go along and don't have anywhere on the Jones to accomodate the ETrex, maps, etc without losing the hand positions afforded by Jones.  (the reason I went to Jones).  My headlight (dyno) is below the handlebar bag, on the fork crown.  I have a backup headlamp I'd like to mount on the bars, as well.

We'll see how badly my adding the aero bars messes up everything else, when/if I add them.

I'm looking for a generic small flat bag that can go in the little space provided by the 'loop' in the bars.  Under your Etrex, etc.  I've seen one online that's custom for this space but it was expensive.

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:56 AM
Mista Bone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »

(rookie info!)

Jones bars with less angle and I might be happy.

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:56:21 AM
Jerseybiker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »

BMike:
I'm looking for a generic small flat bag that can go in the little space provided by the 'loop' in the bars.  Under your Etrex, etc.  I've seen one online that's custom for this space but it was expensive.

Like this? http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/shop/handlebar-systems/tom-cat/

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:37 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »

Porcelain Rocket and Bar Fly Bags both make bags for Jines bars.

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:47 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:47 AM »

Porcelain Rocket and Bar Fly Bags both make bags for Jines bars.
Also Wildcat in the UK now. The Wildcat bag cunningly leaves the 'thumb-hook' corner areas of the bar open, I think that's a good thing.

DSCN9435 by james*o, on Flickr

A bar shot from a recent overnighter, pretty much my std set up now. Another Jones bar fan, still the only non-drop bar I can get comfy on for long-distance stuff. The harness is a Wildcat model that has tension straps to the fork crown, it's impressively stable.

I used to use Scott AT4s many years back but these days I don't see any need for aerobars - I can't pedal my MTB well in that position so any aero benefit is lost in lack of output. Changing grip position and even getting all weight off the hands is a good thing but rides with that much saddle time vs rest time that hand numbness becomes any concern are rare / so far a 1-off for me. I can rest my forearms on the Loop bar for road sections if needed, not often but a 'slumped mile' here and there feels good ..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:39:38 AM by james-o » Logged

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:35:38 PM
Idahogre

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »

I am still setting up my cockpit for my new Ogre.  I saw the Jone's prototype bag on their site, but couldn't wait for it to be available so I tried my hand at making my own. Since I plan on adding a Revelate Sweetroll or similar bag underneath, the bag has ladder webbing so I can reposition the velcro straps to accommodate any other bag design or cockpit setup I find myself with.

* IMG_2391.jpg (404.25 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1518 times.)

Topic Name: Cockpit setups? Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:18:36 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »

For techy riding I prefer a riser bar + bar ends.

For non-techy logging roads I like the various Jones style bars.

I've never tried aerobars, but I am a bit curious if I'd like them for long flat logging road stretches.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: