Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Chips and SALSA Deadwood Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 04:51:33 PM
odier

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »

To bring a little more sunshine into this chat... loving mine:

Only brief shakedown rides at this point, but planning a couple tours in the spring. We had sunny clear skies for the last few days, but still loads of ice, and now its snowing. Time to bring out the fatty again!

Topic Name: Chips and SALSA Deadwood Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 02:54:07 PM
Inertiaman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »

Hopefully revisiting this thread won't restart some of the conflict . . . but my question seems more relevant to this thread than to others.

I'm considering a Deadwood as a general touring bike that can do plus tires when necessary (think Baja Divide) and also be an effective touring bike on traditional pavement tours. I'm curious in opinions from others.  Some caveats:
- I think I can summarize some of the conflicts in the thread above by suggesting that the Deadwood can handle singletrack with fewer compromises than some other rigid bikes like pre-2017 Fargos, but it isn't even remotely a replacement for a proper FS mountain bike.  I get that.  I have almost zero intention of riding a Deadwood on trails, other than the occasional bits that show up on some bikepacking routes, or the occasional foray onto singletrack out of boredom.  So lets not discuss its trailworthiness.
- the BB drop on a Deadwood is actually pretty normal, perhaps even on the high side, by pure touring bike standards (some touring bikes go as far as 80mm drop).  So I expect no real issues if I run 700x35 tires on a road tour. 
- the 70 deg head angle is my biggest concern.  I expect the steering could be a *bit* wonky with 700x35 rubber on smooth pavement, but probably not hard to adapt to. 
- the tall stack / headtube shouldn't be a problem for me, since I'm 6'4".  Will probably run a flat to negative rise stem to yield a bar setup closer to a traditional road/tour rig than the uber-tall setup that is optimal for in-the-hooks trail riding.

Am I missing something?  The 2017 Fargo's are pretty damn similar to the Deadwood, but they go even further on the HA (69 deg IIRC), so arguably less suited to my application.

There are loads of options for a touring rig, but few/none of them can handle 3" tires.  This rig will be purpose built (including S&S coupler retrofit) to support 6 to 8 major international tours, ranging from Baja Divide to Himalayas to Australian and NZ pavement.  Much of this travel will be in sequence (impractical to swap out bikes), so I really need one semi-versatile bike to support all the use cases.

An alternative is a custom build.  Which I can afford, and am considering, but am not convinced there will be significant benefit above/beyond an XL Deadwood.

Topic Name: Chips and SALSA Deadwood Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 12:03:15 AM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 12:03:15 AM »

Would something like the Piolet or a Rawland Ulv suit you?
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: