Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Canal de Deux Mers France on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:15 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:15 PM »

My girlfriend and I visited France earlier this year, and drove a car from Bordeaux to Marseille. Along the way, I kept catching glimpses of a big ditch/canal that (after some research with Google Earth) appears to be a big cross-country waterway. Further research indicates that this can be followed by bicycle. I'm interested!

Has anyone done this or is familiar with this ride?

Topic Name: Canal de Deux Mers France Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 04:03:29 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »

I thought that canal was the canal du midi?
Anyway if it was we rode a small section of it during a trip to the Languedoc region years ago, not sure the whole thing would be my cup of tea but using parts of it and some rural roads could be fun, Terrain there seems conducive to riding as well. Lots of winery action with good cheap wine

Topic Name: Canal de Deux Mers France Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:44 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply! The Canal du Midi is the southern half of the entire run (the northern half being the Canal de Garonne) The terrain seems wonderful for an easy ride... it's like a cross country ditch trail (I'm tempted to bring a tandem and cart my girlfriend along - should be basically level the whole way).

For the section you were on, how would you describe it (or the various parts of it)?

As in, were the most developed parts like the canal rides through a downtown section, some sections with shops along the side, scattered shops here and there, or not much at all?

Also: were the least developed parts rural enough where it wouldn't be weird to throw up a tent a ways off the path? I'd much rather camp, but if it's weird to do this for long stretches of the ride, well, I'd still probably do it, but the ride would be different.

Topic Name: Canal de Deux Mers France Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 05:00:54 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »

I didn't really see enough of it to give a worthwhile answer. The area is quite nice, i imagine that you could get away with some stealthy camping though i believe that it is technically illegal. Sorry i can't offer better advice. I also have found it hard to predict where i can readily find workable campsites in Europe.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: