Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:05 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »

The Garmin Edge 200 is a solid basic unit.  Like you said, it's basically a GPS based cyclometer.  The MSRP has dropped to $129 from $149.  I do like mine a lot and it's super user-friendly, but in hindsight I probably should have spent a little more on the eTrex 20.  Some very basic little things are missing from the Edge 200....like a compass! 

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 07:21:20 AM
hjknox

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 07:21:20 AM »

Agree with Toby. Etrex 20 is a solid choice. Used it mostly for backpacking, but it's a reliable bikepacking tool as well. Good battery life. And, it's waterproof, so if you have an affinity for dropping expensive things into streams or alpine lakes like me, you'd be just fine!

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:53:15 PM
Mr Cup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »

Used my etrex vista h in a homemade handlebar holster this past weekend and loved it.  It's the black and white screen but the track was easy to follow and I had no problems with navigation.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 06:49:24 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 06:49:24 AM »

Hi everyone!

Brand new to the boards here(first post!), and new to bikepacking as well. Boy am I glad I found this website & forum, tons of great info! I have been slowly accumulating gear for my first bikepacking rides this year, and GPS was still a big question, so glad I found this thread, Anyway, I am definitely a gear junkie and love researching this stuff. I am a Garmin fan, so have only been looking at their stuff, but below is what I have come up with.

Garmin Edge series: As others have said, the main disadvantage is the battery. It's not replaceable and lasts from 15 to 20 hours depending on model. Also, only the 800 and 810 have mapping functions, the others are just GPS bike computers. If you just want something to show your speed etc. and then download your route afterwards these are ideal. The 800 and 810 may also work for shorter bikepacking trips, although some kind of charger needs to be figured out.

Garmin Montana series:  These are probably overkill for most people. Pros include: big color 4" touchscreen, all models have barometric altimeter, can run on internal rechargeable or AA batteries & has micro SD cardslot. Cons: Price and size/weight. Also, some models include a camera, not sure if that's a pro or con!

Garmin Oregon series: This series is slightly smaller/lighter than the Montana. Pros: 3" color touchscreen, barometric altimeter, uses AA batteries, has micro SD cardslot, & smaller/lighter than Montana series. Cons: Still pretty big/heavy, and still pretty expensive, depending on model. Also, some models have cameras.

Garmin eTrex series: These seem to be the smallest & lightest units, and not surprisingly have the smallest screens. Pros: small & lightweight unit for easy mounting, reasonable price, micro SD cardslot, long runtime on AA batteries. Cons: smallish 2.2" touchscreen. The main difference between the 20 and 30 is the 30 has a barometric altimeter, useful for some, not for others.

Garmin Dakota 20: Garmin calls it an entry-level unit, but I think this might be the sweet spot for bikepacking. The color touchscreen is 2.6", bigger than the eTrex series, bit the unit is almost the same size. Runs 20 hours on AA batteries, includes basemap, barometric altimeter, SD cardslot, etc, and is the cheapest unit that includes the altimeter.

As of right now, I think my first choice will be the Dakota 20, second would be the eTrex 30(although if you don't want/need the altimeter, the eTrex 20 is a great deal).

Please keep in mind I have not used any of these units, all of the above info is just from my 'I should be working instead of surfing the internet' research.

Mark

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:22 AM
hjknox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »

I think battery life is most important... A dead gps is no good. And, for biking, I don't really think a touchscreen is a plus. Almost impossible to use with gloves on. And the joystick/arrow combo on the etrex is more than sufficient. I will say though, I've only used the etrex, and before it I was all maps and compass, so of course it's going to feel super luxurious. But I don't think I'd want or need much more. As long as I have  trip data (mileage, time, speed) and waypoints, I'm good.  And the color screen of the 20 is way nice for reading maps compared to the grayscale of the 10.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:23 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »

Hi Bikeny,

Good comparison, but there are a couple of things that I've noticed about touch-screen units that have turned me off:
1. Changing settings, etc. while riding is tough with a touch screen. Button are much easier, especially with gloves. I sometimes zoom in & out, change screens, etc.--which is pretty easy with the eTrex buttons.
2. When riding in the rain, or with lots of dust, keeping touch screens clean is a PITA. The eTrex series is much easier to just squeegee with a finger.
3. In my experience, touch screens seem hard to read in direct sun.
4. Screen size isn't important if you're following a track or waypoints.

The Dakota might be good for some, but it's not for me. I don't think that I'd mind it for hiking though.

"Done"

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:17 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »

Hi Bikeny,

Good comparison, but there are a couple of things that I've noticed about touch-screen units that have turned me off:
1. Changing settings, etc. while riding is tough with a touch screen. Button are much easier, especially with gloves. I sometimes zoom in & out, change screens, etc.--which is pretty easy with the eTrex buttons.
2. When riding in the rain, or with lots of dust, keeping touch screens clean is a PITA. The eTrex series is much easier to just squeegee with a finger.
3. In my experience, touch screens seem hard to read in direct sun.
4. Screen size isn't important if you're following a track or waypoints.

The Dakota might be good for some, but it's not for me. I don't think that I'd mind it for hiking though.

This is why I put that disclaimer on the bottom of my post! I totally missed the touchscreen issue, I thought they were all touchscreen these days. Although I was wondering what that little round thing was on the eTrex! Totally makes sense that the buttons/joystick could be easier to use that a touchscreen. Looks like I will pay a visit to my local EMS and try them both out to see which one I like better. Thanks for the real life input, it's appreciated.

Mark

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:11 AM
PaulzOx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »

Hey everyone I am fortunate enough to have a great friend who have me a Etrex 30 for my b-day. So now I have an extra Etrex Vista HCX up for sale for $75. It has nothing wrong with it and works 100%. If you live in the San Diego area PM me. I will also post this in the for sale area.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:01 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »

I used to be a delorme man so I could text with the spot messenger but Im thinking about switching to the etrex 30 this year. Any opinions as to the best Colorado topo map software I should buy to put on there? There are several different options, and I didn't know how high resolution I should go (100k vs 24k) to be most compatible with the standard CTR files put up by Toby? (thanks again Toby!)

The only thing currently holding me back from the etrex 30 is that I cannot recharge AAs while in the unit. I have an amazing solar panel that works wonders on the trail to charge my iphone, and point and shoot camera via USB, but the etrex does not let you charge AAs that are in the unit, you need an external charger for them which adds weight and bulk. Are there any comparable Garmin GPS units that will let me recharge the batteries currently inside them via USB cable while being used?

In case you're curious about the solar panel, I use the Suntactics sCharger 5 which weighs 8 ounces. Not the absolute lightest, but I cut out weight in so many other areas of my setup that I felt like it was ok.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:36:38 AM by Couloirman » Logged

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:12 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »

I used to be a delorme man so I could text with the spot messenger but Im switching to the etrex 30 this year. Any opinions as to the best Colorado topo map software I should buy to put on there? There are several different options, and I didn't know how high resolution I should go (100k vs 24k) to be most compatible with the standard CTR files put up by Toby? (thanks again Toby!)
I don't bother loading maps into my GPS. I just follow the little line on the screen. Some paper maps are nice to have though, and they are easier to read than a little digital screen.

But if you want digital maps that are compatible with my track, pretty much any of them will work great. It all depends on how much detail you want.

"Done"

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:04 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »

Sounds good thanks. Are you guys all happy enough with the standard Garmin brand handlebar mount for the etrex 30? I once lost a GPS this way so I am extra cautious about these sorts of things. Ill probably keep the lanyard attached to something with a mini carabiner or something in case it does slip out of the mount I will notice quick and it won't be lost forever, but I'd like it to not come to that haha.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:46 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »

I have a little drawstring that loops around my bar and attaches to the garmin unit. This way, even if the mount fails, I still have a backup.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:32 PM
Kelly

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

I'm looking at the e-trex 20, oregon 450 and 62s.  The 62s reviews well for using on a handlebar.  Anyone have experience, thoughts on the 62s?
Thanks

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:14 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »

I have used a 62stc for a year now, with a RAM handlebar mount on my mountain  bike and a Garmin mount on my street bike. I am not good with touch screens-fat fingers syndrome- and buttons are the way to go for me. I like the colour shaded relief screen option, and  with micro sd topo cards for everywhere, it is an awesome piece of gear; I use it for navigating, geocaching, and as a cycle computer as well. Battery life for the included rechargeables is amazingly good. I like that it also takes pictures and geotags them. It is a pricy unit [600$ or thereabouts] but the enormous sense of satisfaction I get from its use is well worth it. It also incorporates a really excellent antenna array that picks up signal in canopied areas- remember though, there is such a thing as 'satellite weather' and it is a handheld; 10 m accuracy is excellent for a little tiny box full of electronics. the pics bre a screen shot sample; a view of the Charger with the GPS mounted, and a shot of the rack. Let me know if you would like more pics.
I too use a leash with the GPS at all times.

* 62stc-topo.jpg (56.19 KB, 178x266 - viewed 279 times.)

* DSC04750.JPG (164.51 KB, 640x480 - viewed 274 times.)

* BlackOps (1).JPG (163.38 KB, 640x480 - viewed 268 times.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:05:39 PM by Tommi » Logged

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:39 PM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »

I just got the eTrex 20.  Before this I used my iPhone.  I've only used it on two day trips so far, once to navigate ande once just to record the ride.  I'm very impressed with the battery life, the phone does not hold a match to it.   I never used a mount with my phone, but having the eTrex mounted on my stem is awesome, it's always on and there when you need it.  Waterproof is great, especially with me being in the water often.  I'm getting used to the interface, it's pretty simple

All Iin all, I wish I had gotten the eTrex much sooner into my bikepacking adventures.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: