Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: BUMMED..... on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:25 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:25 AM »

8 weeks from yesterday, my wife and I were booked to fly into Calgary and shuttle over to Banff for 2 nights. Since we were taking our mountain tandem, I wanted extra time to get it assembled, tweaked and tuned and to have some time so that she could take in the entire environment up there. We'd head south early on June 27th on a modified TD route ending up in whitefish 6 days and 330 miles later. She was excited and I was thrilled at being able to share the TD experience with her. She is legally blind but can see well enough to be amazed at the mountains.
I am a pretty strong rider but she isn't so we've been training on our tandems regularly. Every ride for the last 2 months has been tandem rides.

Well, yesterday while working in her moms yard, she slipped and broke her ankle. The break isn't too bad (non detached lower fibula) but she will be off of the bike for at least 6 weeks. I cancelled our flight and hotel bookings this morning and now I get to wait for the bills to arrive.

Majorly bummed out.

Topic Name: BUMMED..... Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:29:41 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »

That is a bummer...what is the recovery time?  Perhaps a September ride as a goal to recovery?

Topic Name: BUMMED..... Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:16 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »

Since it is a non detached fracture, she was put into a splint rather than a cast. We go back in 2 weeks to probably get a boot.
We're not sure about the recovery time but the best case estimates are 6 weeks to full exercise capability.
Yesterday she said that in 2 weeks she was going to ask if them if she could start riding the exercise bike. Since it is not a load bearing bone, they might allow it if it is light resistance.
I didn't have the heart to tell her that I already cancelled all of the reservations. The Raging Elk in Fernie was the only place that charged me a cancellation fee.

We are on my companies insurance now and it really sucks so I expect to take the full brunt of the ER bill as well as the orthopedic clinic. Her parents insisted on the ER even though I told her many many times to go to the walk in clinic as it is much much cheaper. So, a few thousand dollar outlay will put the kibosh on any big plans for this year. If we don't get hit too hard with it, we might try a trail in Virginia that I know of for a few days.

Topic Name: BUMMED..... Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 08:10:44 PM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

That’s sad to hear. I hope she recovers and you guys can take your dream trip. Prayers

Topic Name: BUMMED..... Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:47:15 PM
cackalak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »

Ahh, too bad. Sorry to hear. ER bills are pretty rough, too. I broke my hand a few years ago and decided to go to the ER. All they did was put a soft cast on. Then charged me $2k. I’ll know better to just wait and either go to urgent care or just call into the ortho doc the next business day. Hope her recovery is going well.

Topic Name: BUMMED..... Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:54:49 PM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

well... It is not a bad break.
American airlines has been quite gracious.
we are rescheduling for early September.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: