Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! on: September 10, 2011, 12:59:17 PM
wheelmanron

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »

Hello all. My wife and I are leaving on our first bikepacking trip together! I have been doing it for years like many of you, but this is my wife's first time. I am so excited! She is getting ready now, then off we go! Tales and photos to follow. Wish us luck!

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:40:54 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »

I hope the silence equals matrimonial bliss.

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:23:04 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

...and they are tears of joy...  icon_biggrin

Wife and I bikepack on our tandem, cures many issues we face when riding individual bikes over long distances - speed, endurance and technical skill disparities. Best part about it is you get to share the experience and the adventure together.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:59:21 PM
wheelmanron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

We left minutes after I wrote the post. We have been exploring the power lines in our area, and I was convinced we could find an out of the way site somewhere not too far in. 

Well, we found a great spot, along some old telegraph lines. We thought it was a cool area. The ground was covered with wintergreen, and during the night, a buck wandered so close to our tent we could smell him! I have never heard a deer mating call that close before. I just hope my wife decides to try it again. I promised her that she would be more comfortable if there is a next time.

It went well except for 3 little issues.
1. My home made alcohol stove had a small failure, but I was able to improvise with a cup and a rock.
2. In my haste and smothered with concern for my wife's comfort, I forgot my sleeping bag.
3. It went into the high 40s that night. I was okay, but my wife was hating life for the night. I would understand if she never wanted to join me again on a trip like that.

So, what did I learn from our little excursion?
1. Time to make a better stove.
2. Make sure I have things for her comfort and mine.
3. Get her a better sleeping bag, as we only have cheap fleece ones. Mine is fine for me, but she needs to be more comfortable if there is to be a future doing this.

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:07:53 PM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

Where did you go in Attleboro?  I went to high school in Franklin and would imagine you would have to be creative to find enough land to bike pack.

Good on ya' for gettin' the wife out! headbang

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:34:59 AM
wheelmanron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:34:59 AM »

Actually, we were in North Attleboro. We started on the power line trails just past Shaws grocery store, and continued on untill we reached our destination. Not far from the house, around 6 miles, but far enough for a little adventure. We have been mountain biking for a few years now, but this was the first time she carried any real weight. I must figure out some other gear loading options, and we are looking for a sleeping bag for her. I am so excited to have her in my life to share this with! Plus,I like the challenge of setting up gear and bikes for 2 people.   

Topic Name: Bikepacking with my wife! Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:47 AM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »

Sounds like a cool trip!  Good to hear she is open to adventures like that.  I relocated to Montana and fortunately found a wife who has let me drag her along on some winter ski trips.  She actually views mountain biking and backpacking as relaxing.  Now we are figuring out how to include our daughter.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: