Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:02 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post up report and pics - I always like seeing pics of flowers too as it shows an appreciation of the surroundings.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:57:48 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any recent GPS tracks of the coastal sections (since I last posted), really anything from High Hills to the coast.  Thanks in advance.  Trying to link a GPS of the whole trail.

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 07:16:56 AM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »

Great post and pics. I am heading down to Mount Pleasant to see if it is the happening place. Looking to move from Indiana. Anyways, I will definitely have to hit up the trail.

I've gone crazy, couldn't you tell!

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 06:17:53 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »

Great post and pics. I am heading down to Mount Pleasant to see if it is the happening place. Looking to move from Indiana. Anyways, I will definitely have to hit up the trail.

Where in Indiana?  Moved to NC 5 yrs ago, would never go back to IN....

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:57 AM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »

I live in long beach during the winter and culver during the summer. Northwest IN and north central IN

Where did you live before?

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:38 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any recent GPS tracks of the coastal sections (since I last posted), really anything from High Hills to the coast.  Thanks in advance.  Trying to link a GPS of the whole trail.
If you go to MTBR.com forums, and ask on their GPS forum, a guy named natehawk will answer and tell you where to find a track.  Actually, if you read the existing threads I bet you will find it.  I have seen the answer lately, but since I don't use a GPS like that, I didn't pay attention.

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:52 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

If you go to MTBR.com forums, and ask on their GPS forum, a guy named natehawk will answer and tell you where to find a track.  Actually, if you read the existing threads I bet you will find it.  I have seen the answer lately, but since I don't use a GPS like that, I didn't pay attention.

Thanks, I didn't have a lot of luck there even with PMs so ended up finding some sections on Garmin Connect and hand drawing the rest using the PCF's published topo maps and TopoFusion.  Thanks to sjanes for the help and to Rich Ridlehuber for his TNGA connector to the Pisgah Traverse which I used a bit as one of the alternates to bad pavement.  I  added some singletrack to replace some of the pavement redirects for bikes, at 492 miles roughly right now, couldn't say off hand the pavement/trail/fireroad mix but in the Upstate pretty heavy on the pavement (most not well traveled though and tough to say the least).  Was actually MUCH easier and faster than I thought it would be. 

Still working on a few alternates to get rid of bad pavement sections and the last 3 miles of hiking only trails (13 mile pavement section w/4k climbing is best alternate so far, may be easier to carry the bike partly disassembled but not sure if it's legal even to do that on the trail in question).  A couple sections still need some first-hand beta done if even by car so not really polished yet.

Map and elevation below:

* Palmetto Trail.jpg (54.54 KB, 837x635 - viewed 170 times.)

* Palmetto Profile.png (7.92 KB, 1157x246 - viewed 165 times.)

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:29 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »

I live in long beach during the winter and culver during the summer. Northwest IN and north central IN

Where did you live before?

NW IN also. High School in Chesterton, college and a few extra years in Bloomington.  NC after that.

Topic Name: Bikepacking South Carolina's Palmetto Trail Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:07 AM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »

Good deal. I am from Chicago, high school in Culver and college in Peoria. Other than that, I have been nomadic. This trail should be a great change from Indiana. It just looks silly when you are riding the mtb down the street!

Happy 4th all!

Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: