Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:24 AM
walin

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:24 AM »

About 4 years back I started this idea of carrying a foldable bicycle with me when I backpack.  Recently I bikepack to Myanmar with my Giant Chiron 27 http://shopping.howei.com/index.php?route=tips/tips&tips_id=42

I find this style of bikepacking interesting because it gives me the mobility and the freedom to move around, especially when I arrive at big city and cycling around to look for guesthouse or place to eat is so much easier with a bike.  I also cycle between cities, the furthest I've done in a day is 158km.

The future challenge is to have a foldie that's light, durable and has enough gears for cycling long distances.  Would be ideal if a bike can be folded to the size of a normal backpack and light enough to be carried in train, bus, mrt and airport..     

Happy bikepacking from Penang, Malaysia !

Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:10 AM
gairym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »

take a look at this video if you're interested in folding-bikepacking:

Expedition by Bike and Boat

enjoy.....

Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:40 AM
walin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

Great stuff ! thumbsup A video well done!   

Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:15:01 AM
gairym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »

Great stuff ! thumbsup A video well done!

yeah, it's cool (and not done by me - just fyi).

Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:40 PM
Whistle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »

take a look at this video if you're interested in folding-bikepacking:

Thanks for that  GairyM !!!  Brilliant video , though the water crossings looked quite scary !!!

I don't think I could be brave enough to do anything that put all your eggs in one basket like that , water is just so potentially dangerous , Scottish weather so manically unpredictable and those packraft so small !!! NO !!! Way too scary for me !!! LOL !

Glad to see some one else enjoying the versatility of a folder though , I find it easier to take to new locations either by car , no messing around with roofracks and bikeracks , or by train , it's easier to jump on and off for the photography , it's not so intimidating for other trail users as it only has silly little wheels and its not a proper bike is it ?!?! so I can often get away with riding footpath sections Shhhh!!! ... which is a problem here in the UK , and if I do have to abandon the bike and hike I can fold it up and hide it behind a rock or under a bush no problem ...

Do like the look of those Bromptons though , much smaller fold than my 20" Raleigh Boardwalk , and I bet they are a lot lighter too !!!

Cheers Whistle

Topic Name: Bikepack - backpack with a foldie Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:46 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »

bromptons and packrafts FTW!
great video!

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: