Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Big Bend Ranch Bikepacking, Dec 2010 Trip Report Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:29 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »

thanks!
I know the Lajits trails, Contrabando trail, Dome loop. But have never done a multi day out there. I have always gone to the bike festival & raced back when there was a endurance race (land owners messed up that) Now days Im more into the bikepacking thing and all day riding, less into the crowds. I am making it a point to explore more of the State park.
Thanks for the gpx - its good to have on the gps just in case.

The Mutant

Topic Name: Big Bend Ranch Bikepacking, Dec 2010 Trip Report Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:21 PM
chrismanhollywood

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

great write up...I've been studying it for a while and have a trip planned out there this April.  I saw you took 2 spare tubes.  is original set up tubeless and if not, did you use slime/stans?  you did not write about experiencing any mechanicals or flats.  mostly concerned about flats as I run tubes.  any input is appreciated.  thanks!

Topic Name: Big Bend Ranch Bikepacking, Dec 2010 Trip Report Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:30 PM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

Some people say it's nothing but thorns out there and you would be crazy to not run a sealant of some sort, we didn't have much problem though.  I had slime tubes in both wheels but one was dried out and it got a flat.  I replaced with a non-slime tube and it didn't flat again (carrying a spare slime tube was just too heavy for my tastes).  The other slime tube was fresh and it probably took a few thorns without problem, but nothing major.  If I did it again I would probably do the same or run tubeless.  If you don't do slime tubes, take a couple of fresh patch kits along with your spare tube(s).  I think you will be fine either way.  There are not too many places where you run the risk of slashing a sidewall, but I think its a good idea to have a more robust tire than a super light one given how remote it can be.

Make sure you check with the park rangers to find out if and where water will be.  If you can't find water be on the look out for cottonwood trees, there is likely a spring running close by them.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: