Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: - BarYak on: July 28, 2017, 10:34:02 AM
herrhaus

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »

So, this maybe a weird question, but I've been searching around on-line ever since I discovered BarYak bars for any type of "review" of Joe's invention.  They seem like a great fit to my needs (I would like to have some room above for GPS mount, light, phone, etc - plus have a secure attach point that moves the gear out away from my cables).  However, there is nothing (at least that I could find).  Is this because they are so new....or because Joe is still "fine tuning" his design and doesn't want to have them reviewed just yet, or....??  They look super nice - but I'm just not ready to commit to ~$300 outlay without some more research and testimony.  So, I'm curious, have any of you guys used one?  Are there other options for front carrying systems?  I'd be interested to hear your take.

Topic Name: - BarYak Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:11:01 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »

I traded for a set and have used them for the past 6 months, including 6 days on the Tour Divide route.  I like them, solid product that helped move the gear forward and off my cables (El Mar, flat bars, Revelate Sweetroll).

Few random observations:
- initially installed in combo with my normal Niner carbon fork, but that left me too low to use the Bar Yak as  aero bars, I ended up buying a new/uncut rigid fork (Carbon Firestarter) to raise my overall stem and handlebar height.  This helped my positioning in several ways, but was an additional expense.
- I have really long arms, I could use another 1" forward on the BarYak arms to be comfortable in aero position, not sure which version I have, but it looks like he now makes BarYaks in different lengths.  That could help customize the position.
- I was going to buy and use his elbow rests, but couldn't see myself paying to experiment for a position I wasn't sure about using.  I double wrapped bar tape around my handlebars on each side of the stem (approx. 4" each side).  That sufficed for elbow rests for me.  Also allowed me to place my hands in the same spot, which added another hand position.  I don't think that I'd buy the elbow rests in the future.
- the most comfortable aero position for me was elbows out and resting on my Ergon grips.  I'm sure this is partially due to my long arms.  The wide elbow position allowed me to feel more in control of the bike when aero on gravel descents.  Again, another reason why I wouldn't buy the elbow rests.
- seemed like I could secure the Sweetroll much better on the BarYak.  Normal attachment on the "out front" bar, then using two straps to secure back to the headtube.  Seemed like it allowed the bag to open up more and thus was easier to pack/unpack.
- no, I didn't seem to notice the extra weight, or the fact that weight was slightly further out.
- I created my own map attachment clip by taking the "clip" from a clipboard and attaching to the BayYak, this required specific spacing, but I made it work (link in next post to photo).

Overall, I like the idea, concept and execution.  Solidly built, secure and comfortable once you get them dialed in.  Yes, they can be spendy, but I didn't need all of the "add-ons" so that made it more reasonable.  Build quality helps the price make sense.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Topic Name: - BarYak Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:12:48 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »

Pic of the map clip, not the best angle, but poke around in this photo album and you might see other/better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22166623@N08/34970003233/in/album-72157682567189413/

Topic Name: - BarYak Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:37:19 AM
herrhaus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

Thanks so much for your input.  That's helpful.  One of the things that concerns me over the design is the moment-arm that's created without any type of "stay" (maybe from the outer bar down to the fender bolt on the fork crown).  But you are the second person who has stated that it's secure - i.e. that there weren't any problems with it rotating down under hanging gear weight (or up when gripping the bar ends).  I imagine that special attention to how tight the stem bolts are is part of the key to that.  So, that's encouraging.   

Side note:  I read over your account of your 6-day adventure a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for taking the time and sharing it!!

Topic Name: - BarYak Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:19:33 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »

Anytime....I switched from my normal carbon bar to an alum bar (take-off from Powderkeg).  So, I had no qualms about tightening them down strong.  Definitely, no movement when tightened.

A few more pics of the setup as I experimented with it are in this album.  Some are better views of how I attached the Sweetroll.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22166623@N08/albums/72157644398377491

Topic Name: - BarYak Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:53:31 AM
JellyRoll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »

I'll have to admit that I had to google BarYak. Looks like a sweet product. I have a Jones Loop on my ECR, along with a Profile Designs aero bar. My InReach Explorer fits nicely between the aero bars, and my front bag and whatever other stuff is handled by a Revelate Designs Harness. The Harness mates perfectly with the Jones and has nice setoffs that lets my cables breathe. Its a great setup and about $300 for everything (except the InReach). If you are into Jones bars, this makes fiscal sense to me.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: