Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:08 PM
farpedal

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/1120/f/F254/

Based on the Stache I guess?

Seems interesting! Should be able to eat up a lot of miles, but I would feel bad putting pavement miles on it especially if it burns through the knobbies more quickly.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:27:29 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:27:29 AM »

That rear rack looks completely unnecessary.  With all that metal bent round, a basic rack would have less material and probably be stronger.  The front rack looks interesting but not necessary.  In order to get frame space to add the front rack, they took away space inside the main triangle.  The down tube could be at a less steep angle and give more inside frame space too.  If you are going to have that ridiculously long rigid fork, then make the down tube cater to the space.  The wheel will not hit the down tube because the fork is rigid and if you want the front rack, then you are doing to have to leave the fork rigid.  The top tube looks pointlessly sloped too.
It looks like they overthought the process and missed the point.  But it looks cool.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:44 AM
theTallMan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »

That Rear rack lets them include a Dropper.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:22 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »

Pass. I'd rather have a PDW bindle rack.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:08 AM
farpedal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:08 AM »

The front rack looks interesting but not necessary.  In order to get frame space to add the front rack, they took away space inside the main triangle.  The down tube could be at a less steep angle and give more inside frame space too.  If you are going to have that ridiculously long rigid fork, then make the down tube cater to the space.  The wheel will not hit the down tube because the fork is rigid and if you want the front rack, then you are doing to have to leave the fork rigid.  The top tube looks pointlessly sloped too.
It looks like they overthought the process and missed the point.  But it looks cool.

I think the down tube has that kink in it because if you put a suspension fork on it, the fork crown and/or tire will not hit the down tube when you turn or compress the fork.

The top tube is sloped because the Stache was like that. And I think it's maybe helping with standover when coming to a stop?

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25:57 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »

FWIW, while i do think traditional frame design offers more frame pack space, for gravel that would be OK, but anyone who has spent anytime on a rough stuff with a loaded bike will appreciate stand over.

PDW Bindle doesn't help with a dropper. Its still mounted to the seatpost, so the dropper needs to be strong enough to push back the bag and load in it.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:06 PM
JoePAz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

my concern is rack cracking or worse frame cracking due to weight and vibrations from riding.  Soft bags move and flex.  Hard mounts like these put alot of stress in small areas.   Plus at 31lbs seems heavy for a rigid bike.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:34 AM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

The idea behind the rear rack is to be able to strap small bags onto the sides of the rack. Take a look  here for more pictures of the setup: http://www.bikepacking.com/news/2018-trek-1120-bikepacking-stache/

And, as mentioned, the fork is that long and the downtube that shape to accommodate a suspension fork.

It's an interesting bike for sure, but all that aluminum scares me!

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:17 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »

That Rear rack lets them include a Dropper.

Any rear rack that attaches to the frame would let you run a dropper.

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:00 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »

FWIW, while i do think traditional frame design offers more frame pack space, for gravel that would be OK, but anyone who has spent anytime on a rough stuff with a loaded bike will appreciate stand over.

PDW Bindle doesn't help with a dropper. Its still mounted to the seatpost, so the dropper needs to be strong enough to push back the bag and load in it.
My bad, I meant Porcelain Rocket Albert.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Anyone hear of the Trek 1120? Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 09:13:05 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 09:13:05 AM »

I use my 2016 Stache 5 for bikepacking. Have a suspension fork on it and I go between a dropper post and a thudbuster.

The 1120 is a cool concept and if the rear rack would retrofit to my bike I would probably get one for more carrying capacity.

The problem with the 29 plus wheel is that it keeps me from being able to run a standard seatbag because of my size.

The weight is not unreasonable given the racks and huge tires and rims. How many 29 plus bikes are lighter?

I think for tougher terrain it really screams for a suspension fork and the one by gearing compromises gear range. I put a double front ring on my Stache that I shift by hand.

I never thought the standard Stache would be good for bikepacking but it has replaced my Ti 29er hardtail. For an upcoming bikepacking event I put the New Addix Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 by 2.6 tires on it and they roll awesome!

I had Nuclear Sunrise stitchworks make a frame bag for me that holds 3 liters of water and that is on a small Stache. Bedrock Tapeat bags up front, a small seatpack for tools and a bedrock roll up front. Unfortunately I need a small back pack (Osprey Talon 11) to carry more stuff.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: