Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Any recommendations for vertical and horizontal compression sack? on: November 27, 2018, 03:55:32 AM
brambor

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:55:32 AM »

One of the toughest feats for me is stuffing a winter sleeping bag into a SaltyRoll.

I'm looking for  recommendations for vertical and horizontal compression sack? Vertical straps to maintain the narrow profile to stuff a front bar Revelate Saltyroll

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Any recommendations for vertical and horizontal compression sack? Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:14:23 AM
alpamayo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:14:23 AM »

I’ve had the best success not using a stuff sac at all and stuffing my bag straight into my bar bag, but I hear you, it’s a tight fit even without a winter bag.

Topic Name: Any recommendations for vertical and horizontal compression sack? Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 05:52:47 AM
Crossup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 05:52:47 AM »

Without knowing why your choosing to carry your bag in the SR, I have two suggestions. My thought on using bike packs is to put the heaviest items I can on the bike- it lowers your center of gravity and leaves the bulkier items in your back pack(I carry a 60L Osprey Levity but I know some carry no pack)which helps keep the shape and in my case negates the need for a compression sack for my sleeping system.

First suggestion: Use a small sheet of polyethylene to provide a slick surface by either wrapping what you want to insert or insert the sheet into the SR first. Once the item(s) are inserted I pull the sheet out and stuff it in an end.  The poly sheet is perfect for sitting on wet surfaces, to drop your pack onto etc and the SR gives me instant access before I remove my backpack or sit etc.

Second suggestion is to insert your tent - my FlyCreek2 slides right in as the poles make it a rigid bundle and leaves just the right amount of room for my 10'x 10' polycryo bike cover tarp.

Since the SR is already a water proof and somewhat rigid bag(when full) a compression sack inside just seems like a waste of money and redundant to me.

Topic Name: Any recommendations for vertical and horizontal compression sack? Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:23 AM
brambor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:23 AM »

Thanks. The poly sheet suggestion is great idea.

Yes I do not wear a backpack when bike packing.

I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks. My current idea is to use the rubber compression straps. Daisy chain 2 to go around. Use 3 sets. Well see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: