Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Alpkit Bivvy Bag Review on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:51 PM
Farawayvisions

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »

I’ve been using this bivvy bag for a few years now and this is what I’ve found. Good and not so good.
http://www.farawayvisions.com/alpkit-hunka-bivvy-bag-review-what-bivi/

Topic Name: Alpkit Bivvy Bag Review Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:05:36 PM
B@se

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

headbang

nice writing. tnx

Cheers Bas  thumbsup

Topic Name: Alpkit Bivvy Bag Review Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:59 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:59 PM »

I love sleeping out under the stars so keep thinking I should get a bivy. But ever since moving to the East Coast from California, I have learned to fear the mosquitoes. In CA we would not even set up a shelter when backpacking unless it looked like rain. Now I scurry into my tent as soon as I finish eating dinner and cower away from the drooping mesh. Even despite this  the last time I went out I got a good 50-100 bites from a single night.

Topic Name: Alpkit Bivvy Bag Review Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:41:25 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »

If you've never spent the night in a downpour in a pole-less bivy bag, I'll save you the research: It sucks.

If a short outing, I'll check the weather and go with no tent; maybe a minimalist tarp. If a long outing, I'll bring a poled bivy tent like my Black Diamond Bi-Pod with bug net, or a real tent for me and misses. Shove your helmet into the foot of a Bi-Pod, and you have loft down there.

Sleep is key, and a piece of gear designed for survival doesn't concern itself too much with cozy slumbering. Wetness from condensation...how to dry things out when you gotta pack up and ride? On a cloudy morning?

I've owned and used storm-proof bivy bags for decades for multiple activities. For bikepacking, it's not a tool I consider worthy if it has no poles/stakes/bug net and air space near the head and shoulders where condensation is most prevalent.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: