Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:02 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »

About a week ago I got to meet Alpenzorro, a bikepacker from Germany who posts here on bikepacking.net.  He flew into Tucson to start a ~4 month trip, generally heading north and using pieces of the AZT, TU, CT, GDMBR, CDT, then on into Canada towards BC.

It was interesting to exchange ideas of bikepacking and hear some different approaches.  In Europe, of course, there are many more opportunities for resupply and places to stay.  Things are a little more wild and remote here in the western US.

One idea I found particularly interesting was his pack carrying system.  He chopped off the 'rack' part of a seatpost rack, leaving only the stub:

That forms a pretty solid base to hold the weight of the pack, then he used the clip from a (relatively small) detachable seat bag to attach the pack to the back of his seat.  The clip part is sewn/taped into the back of his pack, kind of between the shoulder straps.  Here it is attached:

I really like this idea because inevitably many of the bikepacking routes end up on long stretches of road, where bike handling doesn't matter and getting weight off the shoulders/back is ideal.  Once you're back on trail, put the pack back on.  The downside is that you can't use a big seat bag with this system, and that works so well to distribute weight and keep bulky things out of your pack.  So I'm not sure I'll try a similar system just yet.

Anyway, Alpenzorro (Stefan) is nearing the Grand Canyon's south rim right now, and he is posting some nice photos and a lot of text.  It's all "live" from his front-hub-dynamo-powered palm PC.  It took him a while to figure out a phone combo that gets the palm PC online, but he's now in business and should be posting updates regularly.

They are in Germain, but I've found babelfish's translation to be enough to understand what he's talking about and even get some of the jokes.  Here's the link to the babelfish translated version, when his ride started from Tucson:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtb-news.de%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D460366%26page%3D7&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

If you click on the subsequent pages on the forum thread they should continue to be translated by babelfish.  It's been fun to follow along so far.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:55:51 PM
alpenzorro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:55:51 PM »

great fun indeed. sitting in Wendys in Tusayan right now and facing the funny little canyon thingy tomorrow. if anybody has a lastminute-mule available for me, please call 520-306-6615 :-).

will probably try to get a camping permit for bright angel or the other one. after all, it's quite beautiful down there and i've no need to hurry. would be a shame to run through.

btw, if you cycle all the way up to the flagstaff snowbowl ski area, theres more fun downhill singletrack for some 400ft before it rejoins the azt. ok, nobody who's racing would seriously do that detour. but i enjoyed it...

Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:04:10 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »

One idea I found particularly interesting was his pack carrying system.  He chopped off the 'rack' part of a seatpost rack, leaving only the stub:

I really like this idea because inevitably many of the bikepacking routes end up on long stretches of road, where bike handling doesn't matter and getting weight off the shoulders/back is ideal.  Once you're back on trail, put the pack back on.  The downside is that you can't use a big seat bag with this system, and that works so well to distribute weight and keep bulky things out of your pack.  So I'm not sure I'll try a similar system just yet.

Tout Terrain offers a rack and a pack:

Link here for more information on the rack.

Peter White should be able to get this stuff stateside.

What might be cool is to see a framework that would bend up above a large saddle pack. The saddle pack (Epic) could fit below it, hang from it? And then your backpack could ride on top. You could loosen the straps and get the weight down - or maybe have a mount point to hold it in place.

You could probably make something like this work:(but again - you lose the option of a large saddlebag)

Which I've used to help support a traditional transverse saddlebag (prior to discovering 'bikepacking' Smiley )

Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:15:03 PM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »

I've been thinking about various setups that would get the backpack off of my back. The Tout-terrain thing looks cool. I've also toyed with the idea of using backpack that would double as a handlebar bag like randonneurs use

Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:49 AM
alpenzorro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »

wow. carrying my bike through the canyon was eassily one of the most stupid things i've ever done. and one of the best Smiley.

Topic Name: Alpenzorro's quest Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:37 AM
alpenzorro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »

btw, if you want to read more about my carrying system (zorrocarry), check out the faq (sorry, german as well): http://wiki.mtb-news.de/Alpenzorro_FAQ (items 5 and 6). it works very well for me since many years now, commercial alternatives (ie toutterrain) dont comne close regarding stability and ease of use.

however, this kind of rack is designed for "european style bikepacking". a normal day in our alps consists of one huge climb on a good dirtroad and one huge singletrack downhill. so the balancing uphill doesnt matter and for the downhill singletrack, you have a very light bike within seconds.

zorrocarry doesnt work so well for uphill singletrack obviously. neither for stuff that always goes up and down and up and down, which seems what most singletrack here looks like. still have to get used to that...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: