Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking on: August 02, 2020, 06:00:30 AM
trevstonbury

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can advise here. I'm looking for a shoe which is fairly versatile which I can use for bikepacking but is also good on the feet for pushing the bike and hiking. I live in the UK and bikepack in some area where it can get wet/muddy but I also want something that is breathable and light for better conditions. A bit of a jack of all trades master of none! I've been looking at the following, does anyone have any opinions?

FIVE TEN FIVE TENNIE DLX - https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-five-tennie-dlx-approach-shoes/EE9150.html

FIVE TEN TRAILCROSS LT - https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trailcross-lt-mountain-bike-shoes/EF7058.html

FIVE TEN TRAIL CROSS MID PRO- https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-trail-cross-mid-pro-mountain-bike-shoes/EF3043.html

Cheers!

Trevor

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:56:05 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »

Northwave Escape EVO

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:20:03 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:20:03 PM »

I've been using La Sportivas for the last year.   First was Akyra's and now Wildcats.  Flat pedals.  These shoes aren't quite as grippy as 5.10s but it doesn't take long to get used to them.  And they are much better for hiking and hike-a-bike. 

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:13:59 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »

My wife has been using the Five Ten Guide approach shoes for a few years. She is on her second pair They aren't as grippy as their bike shoes, but are better off the bike. I was going to buy a pair of the trailcross for a big fat biking trip we had planned, but COVID makes it look like that might not happen, so I never bought any.

I usually wear clipless for everything shy of extreme hikeabike, the shoes I wear are more sneaker, less soccer cleat than your typical bike shoe.

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:11 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »

Five Ten Guide Tennie gives me as good riding performance as their bike-specific shoes with dots rubber like the Impact and Contact. It's a better shoe for walking, hiking, scrambling.

This model has changed many times over the years. Some iterations were terrible. The current design seems robust comparatively. I have a slight delamination on the sole on one pair and rand on the other pair after some extended wearing, time for some shoegoo, but otherwise holding strong.

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 06:48:30 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 06:48:30 AM »

For bikepacking, I use flat pedals. Welgo MG-5 ones to be exact.
The first year that I rode the Tour Divide route, I had some Keen hiking shoes. They were fairly light. I then bought some Adidas AX2 mid height GoreTex hiking shoes and they were much lighter and great for cycling. They engaged the WellGo pedals quite nicely and offered good support for hike a bike areas.

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 02:44:42 PM
Inertiaman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »

I've been wearing the original Adidas Trailcross model, which I like a lot, and would recommend if they were available anywhere.  I don't have any experience with the newer Five Ten branded versions of the Trailcross, but will likely buy the LT version you referenced if/when any retailers get inventory on the size 14.  Probably another example of supply chains being FUBAR due to covid.

The Trailcross seems to be lighter and dries faster than the leather-centric models of Fiveten like the Freerider.  Mine hike pretty well and ride pretty well.  But a big part of my attraction is that so options are offered in my size.

Topic Name: All round shoe for bikepacking and hiking Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 03:11:04 PM
bikelite

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »

most any trailrunner
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: