Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild on: April 19, 2011, 12:43:34 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »

I've been slowly gearing up for backpacking/bikepacking and part of my setup is an 8x10 rectangular tarp that I recently made out of some uncoated ripstop.  I'll be doing a diy silicone job here shortly, probably after I make my bivy floor so I can do them both at the same time.  I picked up about 10 or more yards of it at a local Walmart on the 2nds counter for I think $2.  No, not $2/yd, $2 for the whole bolt!  So, even if I ruin it and end up throwing it away and making a new one out of real silnylon, it's a experience under my belt.

So, after a few test pitches in the backyard I thought it's time to take it out into the wild and give it a go...  I learned a few things along the way- #1- an 8x10 tarp takes a lot of real estate to set up.  #2- buried rocks suck.  At least now I know what to look for.  If there's a small rock sticking out of the ground (baby head, kinda), chances are good it's like an iceberg, in that there's a lot more of it a few inches underground.  #3- paracord may not be the best guyline material.  The stuff is like a rubber band...  I wonder if I will have better luck with some real guyline, like that spectra/dyneema stuff.  #4- look before swiping that itchy feeling off of your shins (see pics for more info on that one)...

I couldn't find any decently strong sticks to try and tie some line to my center panel tie outs.  I would have liked to see if it helped more with wind resistance.  I can easily see the wind blowing it down to make contact w/ my sleeping bag/bivy with it the way it is.  I did pick that location because those rocks would help block some of the wind to begin with...

My location-

My junk.  I really like my black diamond hydration pack.  It's kinda small for my torso/frame size, but it holds more than it looks like it should, and then when it's full I just lash junk onto the compression straps on the back.

Here area few pictures of it pitched using a "trunk line".  funny, since there are not tree trunks to tie it around.  Maybe some time later I'll try to find to suitable joshua trees to tie it to...but for now, some tent stakes and my bike seat seemed to get the job done, although it's still kinda low.  That might be such a bad thing though, if it helps with wind stability.  There's one absolute truth about the desert- the wind blows; both figuratively and literally.

From looking at this pic, I realize I should have pulled that corner a bit tighter.

It's a beautiful morning though.

used a rock to help that stake stay put, where there was that underground rock.  I tried moving it around as much as I could to find some good dirt, but nothing was available in the reach my my guyline.

Here's what I get for not looking before wiping that ithcy object off of my shin.

I applaud those that can throw a tarp up in under 5mins.  I fiddled around for almost an hour with it today.  Maybe next time will go faster.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
BM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:21:14 PM by Ultra Magnus » Logged

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:40 PM
donmeredith74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »

Pitching a tarp can be a pain in the ass develop character, patience and wisdom. You might want to try next time with the ridgeline tieouts only attaching at the ends of the tarp instead of running the length of the tarp. That will run more tension through the ridgeline of your tarp giving you a tighter pitch and saving you some line. Still, looks good!

DM

Don Meredith
Greenville, SC
http://lightpack.blogspot.com

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:36 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

Pitching a tarp can be a pain in the ass develop character, patience and wisdom.

I'll keep that in mind...  Anyway, I'll try it again in a couple of days.  I need a ground sheet and bivy before I take my BAIAC and sleeping bag out there for a trial run...  Even so, I'm nervous about cactus needles, goat heads and the like poking holes in my sleeping pad... 

I used the trunk line method based on a youtube video I saw.  I first string the trunk line and pull it tight, then use prusik loops to tension the tarp.  I guess the thinking is you can tension the trunk like a lot tighter than you could the tarp w/o the risk of tearing or popping stitches.  In reality, I don't know if it makes a difference, except this method requires that I have at least 25' of cord to set up.

I still would like to find some poles that I could use to pull out the mid panel guyouts to give more interior space and maybe keep the tarp off me.  What I really need to do, if find a balance between head room and wind resistance.

thanks,
BM

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:17:25 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »

Like the set-up using the bike. Creativity's a plus...thinking beyond the standard configs based on terrain/features. Right away I'm eyeing the rock wondering about a more wind-sheltered setup.

Foam sleeping pads rock.

Why use a ground sheet with a bivy bag? To my thinking any bivy bag worth the description is totally waterproof. For that matter, you don't need the overhead tarp either...

Just ribbin' ya, tarp shelters are great for hanging out, and they're fun to build. I'm digging my Black Diamong Bipod bivy, with or without stakes. Virtually no setup, coffin footprint. Still, a small tarp is nice for those lazy days or when you need respite from the sun. I'd run a small one even with a bivy bag, depending.

Stay stoked!

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:30 AM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:30 AM »

Like the set-up using the bike. Creativity's a plus...thinking beyond the standard configs based on terrain/features. Right away I'm eyeing the rock wondering about a more wind-sheltered setup.

Foam sleeping pads rock.

Why use a ground sheet with a bivy bag? To my thinking any bivy bag worth the description is totally waterproof. For that matter, you don't need the overhead tarp either...

Just ribbin' ya, tarp shelters are great for hanging out, and they're fun to build. I'm digging my Black Diamong Bipod bivy, with or without stakes. Virtually no setup, coffin footprint. Still, a small tarp is nice for those lazy days or when you need respite from the sun. I'd run a small one even with a bivy bag, depending.

Stay stoked!

I'm making the smd meteor bivy, so no, it's not waterproof.  It's more for bug protection, though the foot end of it will be made of some waterproof breathable material (momentum 90) so if there is blowing rain, I can afford to get my head under the tarp further and let my feet get a little wet.

Not that we get a lot of rain- but I could see myself checking the forecast and heading out to play if it is going to rain.  When you live somewhere this dry, you look forward to the rain.  It's kind of a "grass is greener" kinda deal.

I'm still not totally sure what to do about ground protection for my BA IAC pad...  good sleep is really important to me.  I've spent many nights on those ccf pads, and they are just way to painful for me.  My back isn't in that good of condition, and I'm a side sleeper, so the pressure points on my hips are brutally painful.  All I'd have to do wrong is miss one goat-head or cactus needle, and I'd be on the ground in worse shape than on a ccf pad.  Finding a fixing a leak in the dark, while tired, does not sound like something I want to do.  I thought about getting one of those foam groundsheets, 1/8" thick or so.  adds a lot of bulk, but at least they are not very heavy...  I dunno.  Stuff to think about.

And with regards to the wind, this is the forecast for tonight, and it's been like this for about two weeks straight.  some days not as bad as others, but it's just blows here "Mostly clear. Areas of blowing sand and blowing dust. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Lows 44 to 51. Winds west 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 60 mph."

BM

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:16:13 PM
surlydave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »

This looks like a nice set up.  I really like the idea of using the structure of the bike to give you a little height when there may not be a tree around.

I use a large rubber band (like they wrap a bunch of celery with) around the grip and over the rear brake lever to lock the brake.  I find this little "parking brake" quite handy with a loaded bike and I'd guess it could help you with your pitch.

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:46 PM
Anvil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »

Here's how I set up my tarp, it's fast, easy, and takes nothing other than your tarp, your bike, and some cord:

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:34 AM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:34 AM »

Another method, flip your bike over and use it to support the tarp.  It works really well in areas which are windy and it's easy to setup quickly.  The Meteor bivy is a great design. 

* 12_604.jpg (496.26 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 535 times.)

Topic Name: First time pitching a tarp in the wild Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:37 PM
Ultra Magnus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I've seen that one with the bike upside down before.  Is that with a 5x8 tarp? 

In that first one you posted, I like how you used the front wheel to hold up the back end of the ridgeline.  I'll have to try that.  Seems easier than scrounging around for an appropriate stick, which can be hard to find in the desert. 

My three oldest kids (6, 8, and 10yr old) camped out with me under the tarp last night.  It was a pretty cool breezy night so I wasn't worried about bugs being a problem.  Overall it was a pretty good experience and the kids had a great time.  The temp dropped to the mid thirties according to wunderground.com, but there was some frost at 5:30 in the morning, so I don't know if it really got any colder.  I think I might be a cold sleeper, as I was getting chilled in my 30 degree bag.  When I woke to answer nature's call, I went in the house and grabbed my puffy jacket and my balaclava and slept for anther two hours like a baby.

Oh, and I've made my bathtub floor and will order the rest of the materials for my modified meteor bivy design sometime today.

BM
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: