Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Central CA paved/dirt road tour trip report on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:53 PM
AmyL

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »

Jim and I took an 8 day paved/dirt road tour in Central CA in March.  450 miles (25% dirt) and ~25000' gain.  We had a terrific trip, very enjoyable.

Annotated photo show: 
http://amyl.smugmug.com/gallery/11921540_yPxS4/1/844058367_7vkgQ#844058367_7vkgQ

Highlights:
** wildflowers in late March and April (following a wet winter) are astonishing.  We were out at the start of the wildflower season before things were fully blooming, and we still had a great show.
** Lovely Oak Savannah ranchlands
** only three towns in 450 miles, so even though it's on roads, it's pretty isolated. 
** only ~15 miles of busy roads (mostly in the three towns) and another ~25-50 miles of moderate traffic.  The vast majority of the route has <5 cars per hour.
** easy access from home (SF Bay Area), and loop made logistics easy.
** weather was perfect (no clouds, and 35 to 70 degrees every day).  California weather is dang predictable.
** my favorite areas:  Carrizo Plain National Monument, and the Indians Road in Los Padres National Forest

This isn't really a bikepacking trip report since 435 of the 450 miles were on roads open to vehicles.  But I'm a backpacker at heart, taking up bike touring as a secondary hobby, and I have a strong preference for dirt road riding and rough camping.  I identify more closely with bikepackers than to the paved road bike tour community, and I suspect there are paved road bike tourers lurking here in Bikepacking.net who are tempted to branch out into dirt road touring (or already have made the switch).

I've got a detailed route document with profiles, map details, info about stores and cafes, reference URLs, etc.  If interested, send me a PM and I'll forward a copy to you.

Amy L, Palo Alto

Topic Name: Central CA paved/dirt road tour trip report Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:59:33 PM
MattySF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »

Sounds like a great trip Amy. Really beautiful shots as well. I just loved seeing that sea of yellow flowers on the hillside thatnks for sharing.

Gone Campin!!

Topic Name: Central CA paved/dirt road tour trip report Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:09 PM
verve825

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »

Superb trip! I ride many of the roads that you toured, and you caught the season perfectly. Great photos, too!

Regards,

jb

Topic Name: Central CA paved/dirt road tour trip report Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:26:24 PM
fargoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the great posting.  My wife and I really enjoyed looking at the photos.  The pictures of the Arroyo Seco River area brought back memories of backpacking trips years ago when the road was still open to vehicle traffic.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: